Meat Rabbits that aren't breeding HELP!!!!!!

crazyturkeydesigns

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Congrats!!! Babies are always so exciting! :clap

The black skinned ones will probably end up black, the white ones white, and the others will most likely look like their mom. Sounds like a bee-u-teeful litter to me :D

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
crazyturkeydesigns said:

The black skinned ones will probably end up black, the white ones white, and the others will most likely look like their mom. Sounds like a bee-u-teeful litter to me :D
and will have another litter from my NZ white doe within the week to 10 days.....:celebrate

I need better counting and memory skills, better yet a system to keep track :th

any suggestions?

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
crazyturkeydesigns said:

and will have another litter from my NZ white doe within the week to 10 days.....:celebrate

any suggestions?
Get yourself a notebook. Write down who was with who. Date. How many kits. Their health. It will help you see the pattern of your does too. Not just for color but also if the does is kindling the right type of kits to sell for meat. It's just a good time line to keep to help be successful in actually any breeding.

Hope this helps. :)

autumnprairie

Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
autumnprairie said:
crazyturkeydesigns said:

any suggestions?
but us
Get yourself a notebook. Write down who was with who. Date. How many kits. Their health. It will help you see the pattern of your does too. Not just for color but also if the does is kindling the right type of kits to sell for meat. It's just a good time line to keep to help be successful in actually any breeding.

not sure if I want to sell the meat because of an article I read in May.

http://www.naturalnews.com/032476_rabbits_USDA.html

but getting a notebook tomorrow

that is the article tell me what you think

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
Ms. Research said:
autumnprairie said:

any suggestions?
but us

Yes I saw that article in May too. Made me rethink "meat rabbits" too. Government intervention with the help from special interest groups who receive grants from said government does happen. And examples have to be made to justify the years of non-action or a different agenda that is placed on the table by the government to be endorsed or even orchestrated by the special interest groups who receive grants from said government.

My advise to all who sell rabbits. Research what the laws are and what laws have been petitioned by special interest groups. Because believe me, the examples will be "Mom and Pop" setups, like the article, who are trying to comply with the laws but aren't truly told what the changes have been made or all the true details pertaining to not only sale but the trend of Protecting this new catagory called meat rabbits. Because remember, how does the Government give funding to special interest groups. The information I found out about Superfund sites is from the fines of the guilty. Viscous cycle, but it is what it is. And unfortunately sometimes innocent people get swept up in this ugly game.

Just my opinion. :)

autumnprairie

Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
autumnprairie said:
Ms. Research said:
but us

Yes I saw that article in May too. Made me rethink "meat rabbits" too. Government intervention with the help from special interest groups who receive grants from said government does happen. And examples have to be made to justify the years of non-action or a different agenda that is placed on the table by the government to be endorsed or even orchestrated by the special interest groups who receive grants from said government.

My advise to all who sell rabbits. Research what the laws are and what laws have been petitioned by special interest groups. Because believe me, the examples will be "Mom and Pop" setups, like the article, who are trying to comply with the laws but aren't truly told what the changes have been made or all the true details pertaining to not only sale but the trend of Protecting this new catagory called meat rabbits. Because remember, how does the Government give funding to special interest groups. The information I found out about Superfund sites is from the fines of the guilty. Viscous cycle, but it is what it is. And unfortunately sometimes innocent people get swept up in this ugly game.

Just my opinion. :)
I understand that so basically I have decided to give rabbit meat to friends and family at no cost for meat ask for a donation on food and rabbit supplies, nothing illegal in that. Mainly it is just family is interested at this point

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
First of all... rabbit colors :) Genetics are soooooo much fun! I love reading about it. Your doe, the brown one in the photo, is an agouti. Your dark colored kits with the pink bellies will be that color. MOST of the time when you breed red to another color other than red, you get that agouti color (also called copper, sandy, castor, etc depending on what breed it is). We had red satins and ended up with a lot of coppers when bred to other colors. I love breeding white rabbits to colored rabbits because you really get to see what they are hiding. My NZW buck is actually a Steel. Almost all of the babies he sires when bred to colored does end up gold tipped steel. Very pretty I think. White is a recessive color trait, so if you breed red eyed white to red eyed white you will always end up with white kits. And like you said, your agouti doe was a red rabbit crossed with a white rabbit, that means that she carries white, which would be why you get white babies when bred to a white or another white carrier. Pretty neat, eh? I had to get rid of my satins though because I let myself get too caught up with colors and wanted to keep one of each variety and it got crazy out of hand LOL now we have two breeds that are all one color, and just a few mutts for me to play with color wise :)

Secondly... Do not be affraid to sell your bunnies. There was a HUGE discussion on the meatrabbits group I am part of when that all went down with the Dohlorites. They were not selling meat rabbits, they were selling pets to PET STORES. That was their problem. IF you sell more than $500 worth to a store you need to USDA licensed by law. If they would have been selling the rabbits to individual people, it would not have mattered. I cannot stress enough that you still need to check into laws in your area. I will tell you I only sell them live, even for meat purposes. I am not a licensed butcher, nor do I have the facilities to do so to the standards that are needed for that kind of licensing. To void getting ripped off and people getting breeders at meat price (I charge a lot more for brood stock) I only sell bucks as live meat rabbits. If it is a friend or family and they really can not stand to butcher, I will sell them a rabbit and then butcher them for free. As far as I can tell that is not illegal since I am not charging for butchering services, but I still will NOT risk that with people I do not know. Sad that we have to cover our butts like that... but it's the way it is.

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh yeah! And I forgot I also wanted to chime in on keeping records... We started out with a notebook. When we only had a few bunnies that worked great. But once we got over 5 does, it got harder... then we got pedigreed stock.... and it was rediculous trying to keep track of everything on paper so we ended up just investing in the Rabbit Register. It is an amazing program that allows you to keep track of pedigrees, breedings, due dates, ages, weights and sooo much more. If you keep really close track of things, it will even calculate your costs and profits and everything. We don't use it for that since we mainly just breed for ourselves and a few show rabbits, but the option is there :D
More info.... http://evans-software.com/winrbro.shtml

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
DKRabbitry said:
Oh yeah! And I forgot I also wanted to chime in on keeping records... We started out with a notebook. When we only had a few bunnies that worked great. But once we got over 5 does, it got harder... then we got pedigreed stock.... and it was rediculous trying to keep track of everything on paper so we ended up just investing in the Rabbit Register. It is an amazing program that allows you to keep track of pedigrees, breedings, due dates, ages, weights and sooo much more. If you keep really close track of things, it will even calculate your costs and profits and everything. We don't use it for that since we mainly just breed for ourselves and a few show rabbits, but the option is there :D
More info.... http://evans-software.com/winrbro.shtml
Thanks so much for posting this. Had no idea there was a program for rabbit breeding. Know you eventually grow out of notebooks, I was considering just using QuickBook. That's very versatile for any business. Basic accounting program that you can adjust to what you need. Better yet, not to big of a program and not that confusing. But nice to know there are other choices. Definitely will take a look at it. :)

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
OH OH OH!! (sorry I get a bit excited) ANNNND It shows you the color gentics!!! Based on what color your rabbit is, and what color their parents are (and you can manually edit it if you know they are a carrier of a recessive color). And you can do hypothetical pairings, and it will tell you the probably outcome of what color the kits will be.

Originally, I was just going to set up an Excel file, but then DH got looking into this stuff and I am sooo glad we got it (obviously :) )
Okay, seriously done now, I NEED to get off here and go milk LOL