Medical books

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Do any of you have medical books on goat health that are a must have? As great as the Internet is I like to have books that you can quick turn to. I've found a few on Amazon, but kinda costly.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The medical books you find online that are in the hundreds are generally vet books. They are good but I still laugh at the lack of info in them. There is one ... cannot remember the name of it but I will try to find out what it is. It is good.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I bought Goat Medicine, and it has a lot of information, but not what I was hoping for- like assisting in goat birth, drawing blood, stomach tubing, etc. I'm kind of regretting getting it.
The Tennessee Meat Goats website is probably just as good for most things involving diseases/symptoms/treatments in my opinion as well as a lot of other sites.

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I bought Goat Medicine, and it has a lot of information, but not what I was hoping for- like assisting in goat birth, drawing blood, stomach tubing, etc. I'm kind of regretting getting it.
The Tennessee Meat Goats website is probably just as good for most things involving diseases/symptoms/treatments in my opinion as well as a lot of other sites.
That's the one I was looking at on Amazon. Almost $200! There was an older version for $50. I was looking at anther called Pygmy goats management and veterinary care. It's a little bit older but it seems like it might have more then just feeding and housing type info. I'd like something that can walk me through a situation. I'm glad you mentioned you goat medicine was not what you're looking for. Saved me some money ;)
Thanks!!

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The medical books you find online that are in the hundreds are generally vet books. They are good but I still laugh at the lack of info in them. There is one ... cannot remember the name of it but I will try to find out what it is. It is good.
Ya, I know. When I was in school for vet assistant all the books were outrageous and that was twenty years ago. Ugh that makes me feel old
If you find what it's called out let me know. Thanks again! :)

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Try some sheep books, too. "Managing Your Ewe" and "Lamb Problems" -- both contain exorbitant amounts of information about many diseases...causes, treatments, etc. Sheep and goat information tends to overlap.

I also have Veterinary Book for Sheep Farmers and Sheep Ailments. Also the MARC has SOPs on their livestock production and there is a disease section in the sheep file about treatments for various diseases. I'm not sure if they do goats as well.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm glad you mentioned you goat medicine was not what you're looking for. Saved me some money ;) Thanks! said:
I don't want to make it sound like Goat Medicine isn't a good book, I guess I just was expecting more because of the price. It has a TON of information, but, like you said, I wanted something that would walk me though things.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
it has a lot of information, but not what I was hoping for- like assisting in goat birth, drawing blood, stomach tubing, etc.

One basic goat health book that I've found very helpful is "Goat Health Handbook" by Thomas R. Thedford, DVM. The publisher is Winrock International Institute for Agricultural Development. It was less than $10 but that has been several years ago now.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One basic goat health book that I've found very helpful is "Goat Health Handbook" by Thomas R. Thedford, DVM. The publisher is Winrock International Institute for Agricultural Development. It was less than $10 but that has been several years ago now.

I'll have to look into that.

Latest posts