Medicated Feed For Kids

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
elevan said:
You must be in an area where they sell the medicated.
Elevan - I THINK you're thinking about AC...because Noble Goat is only available in certain areas with AC in it (for instance, not in the SE). I'm fairly certain that unless you buy the dairy ration, all Noble Goat products will be medicated with a coccistat.

And, yep, here the whole herd is on a goat pellet containing Deccox unless we're milking for our own consumption, in which case just the milkers will be on a nonmedicated feed. Keeping the whole herd on medicated feed will keep your soil cocci loads in check.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
helmstead said:
elevan said:
You must be in an area where they sell the medicated.
Elevan - I THINK you're thinking about AC...because Noble Goat is only available in certain areas with AC in it (for instance, not in the SE). I'm fairly certain that unless you buy the dairy ration, all Noble Goat products will be medicated with a coccistat.

And, yep, here the whole herd is on a goat pellet containing Deccox unless we're milking for our own consumption, in which case just the milkers will be on a nonmedicated feed. Keeping the whole herd on medicated feed will keep your soil cocci loads in check.
You may be right...I know I've heard that Noble Goat is nonmedicated in some areas...the person didn't specify what the medication was... :/

In the summer my goats are mainly on pasture and don't get grain unless they need it during that time.

And yep if they are being milked for human consumption you want them on an unmedicated feed. :cool:

willow_top_farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
At what age are you introducing grain to the kids and how much? I have two 3 wk old bucklings who are just starting to actually eat a little hay vs. nibbling it. Should I introduce it gradually a little at a time?

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I feed medicated grain at 3 weeks old, bucks don't get as much as does, i feed medicated untill they are yearly's but I don't feed medicated to my adult does at all. once they are 3 weeks, hay, feed, water, and coccidia prevention. hope this helps

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
willow_top_farm said:
At what age are you introducing grain to the kids and how much? I have two 3 wk old bucklings who are just starting to actually eat a little hay vs. nibbling it. Should I introduce it gradually a little at a time?
We offer it right away in a creep feed zone, but when eating with their mom's they learn pretty quickly to enjoy the feed. I notice around 3 or 4 weeks they start munching on it and by 7 or 8 weeks they are eating around 3% of their body weight a day.

willow_top_farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! Any recommendations on how much to start with? They are Saanen, if that matters.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Start with a sprinkle(small handful), and refresh it every day, I just feed the unused portions to the adults .At first they will just mouth it at first.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
We've used the Noble medicated for a year now-it is really nice but just to be sure (because I did not really know this at first), you will still have to treat for worms (or coccidia if they get overloaded). Also-if you sign up for the TSC emails, they send out five dollar off coupons about once per month.

willow_top_farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Melissa said:
We've used the Noble medicated for a year now-it is really nice but just to be sure (because I did not really know this at first), you will still have to treat for worms (or coccidia if they get overloaded). Also-if you sign up for the TSC emails, they send out five dollar off coupons about once per month.
Thanks, I really appreciate the info. I did know I needed to treat for the worms/coccidia, but didn't know about the TSC coupon. That's great!:D