Medicated Feed For Kids

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I purchased a bag of Producer's Pride Sheep & Goat DQ feed to start my kids with eating solids.
The active ingredient in it is Decoquinate, which helps with coccidia.

Has anyone ever used a product like this and what is your opinion?

Thanks!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Take it back and get GOAT feed...one for sheep and goats doesn't contain copper, which goats REALLY need.

That is a good active ingredient...but does not replace a cocci prevention program. It will only hold your cocci load down mildly.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
It's good as an "extra" support in the fight against cocci...but don't rely on it preventing the bug solely. You'll still need to practice an active cocci prevention using either Di-Methox, Albon, or CoRid.

eta: I missed the sheep part - yeah, do as helmstead suggests and take it back. You don't want anything that says sheep & goat...just goat or you'll end up with a copper deficiency.

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I use goat feed regularly. I bought this as a starter food for the kids before I would treat them specifically for coccidia prevention.
I am aware that is doesn't have copper in it, but the kids do have access to loose minerals (Sweetlix) at all times.
I will return it today, as I haven't opened it yet. Thanks.

While we're on the subject, how long of a shelf life does Corid have? I have a bottle but it doesn't have any dating on it. It's about 2 years old.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I buy Noble Goat...it is medicated...but I understand the you should check the bag as it's not medicated in all areas of the country.

I don't know the answer to the CoRid expiration date question...hopefully someone else can help you there.

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
I buy Noble Goat...it is medicated...but I understand the you should check the bag as it's not medicated in all areas of the country.
I'm a little confused now. TSC has the Noble Goat, medicated and I looked at it.
It was medicated and it's active ingredient was the same as the food I bought.

Do you feed the food to all of your goats all of the time? How does it differ from what I bought? Does it also lack the copper?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Goatherd said:
elevan said:
I'm a little confused now. TSC has the Noble Goat, medicated and I looked at it.
It was medicated and it's active ingredient was the same as the food I bought.

Do you feed the food to all of your goats all of the time? How does it differ from what I bought? Does it also lack the copper?
You must be in an area where they sell the medicated.

It differs from what you bought because it contains the needed copper.

Yes, all my goats that get grain get Noble Goat.

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Eleven is right it should have the same active drug in it but it does contain the copper which the other feed did not.
I actually have 2 different feeds. All the kids get an 18% protein, medicated pellet feed that is made by ADM its a meat maker feed. Then the adults only get feed when bred and lactating but they get a 16% textured grain.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Noble goat is only for goats, so it would have higher copper in it.

Corid if kept in a cool place, is probably fine for a couple of years, I would be more worried about it if you had it in a barn/shed, with heat in summer and freezing in the winter.

The medicated feed does help to slow down coccidiosis blooms, but wont prevent it all the time. They also have to eat a certain amount of it per body weight, inorder to have enough medication in their system for it to be helpful.
I think it is something like 3% of body weight. but just making a guess.

We only by medicated feed, Our kids are on medicated feed up until a year old or a month after they are first bred.

Our does are on medicated feed about a month before they kid and during the milk/nurisng period of 8 weeks.

It is recommended that they don't always stay on medicated feed, since the system/protozoa can build up an immunity against it.

We still treat kids for coccidios with corid at 3 weeks of age in the drinking water to the entire herd(does and babies), and then we keep an eye out for signs of cocci after that, and retreat as needed. We have treated 3 times so far since our first kids were born in February. It was a very wet summer.

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you all. I will go back and get the medicated Noble Goat since it has the copper already in it.

The Corid I have has been indoors the entire time so I'm guessing it should still be good.