Medicinal Honey Thread

3goodeggs

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi!
@Happy Chooks said that you all have a bee thread.
So, I flew over from BYC to check you out.
I was thinking that we all use honey for a lot of remedies.
Would you all post your cures that use honey?

Onion sliced thin and covered in honey will make a juice that helps my asthma. It also helps the cough related to asthma.
I did not think it would work, but it does.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Honey is AMAZING for wounds! There are official scientific studies done that prove its natural antibiotic/antibacterial properties.

When I get a mild scrape, I let it heal by itself. When I get a burn, a deeper scratch, or when a wound I have is trying to get infected, I put a dab of raw honey on and then slap a bandaid on it. It's best if you change it out 2x or more per day, and then let the wound get some air when it looks like it's doing better.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My DH had a toe amputated and gas gangrene in his foot so you might imagine the wound. It took almost 1.5 YEARS to heal the wound over entirely. The last 6 months or so he was using honey or it and it really helped.

It is also supposed to help prolapse. I have heard of people using it on their chickens and goats. Supposedly it shrinks the tissue and draws everything back inside the body.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
My DH had a toe amputated and gas gangrene in his foot so you might imagine the wound. It took almost 1.5 YEARS to heal the wound over entirely. The last 6 months or so he was using honey or it and it really helped.

It is also supposed to help prolapse. I have heard of people using it on their chickens and goats. Supposedly it shrinks the tissue and draws everything back inside the body.
how would it be used for prolapse?

3goodeggs

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Our dog had a huge cyst removed from her tail (Tennis ball sized -small dog). The vet wanted to just remove the tail, but we resisted. (A dog needs to wag)

He opened it up so it would drain. Because it came up so quickly he did not expect it to ever heal, that it would always be an issue.
The vet did not prescribe any antibiotics, he said honey will work better, it is safer, and cheaper.

The honey kept it clean and drew out the fluids, it never came back, it healed up quickly. I do not know what it did to stop the cyst from reforming, maybe it was just luck.

We still talk about that. It was remarkable.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
For the prolapse use honey on the gloved finger when you push the prolapse back in. It is supposed to shrink the tissues and help it stay in. No experience, just what I have read. Also supposedly works on hemorrhoids.