Medicinal Honey Thread

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have not experienced prolapse my self, but from what I've read here and on other places, I would think push prolapse back in, pump in a couple gallons of honey, wrap butt in duct tape and poke 2 aspirins down her durn throat.

Amiga

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I use honey when I make switzel, which is what outdoor workers drank before there was Gatorade. I think it's a quarter teaspoon of ginger,half a cup of apple cider vinegar, a tablespoon of honey, and a dash of hot pepper. Bring that to a boil, let it cool, then add to a half gallon of water. Better than just plain water when you are really hot and thirsty.

Michael & Donna

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
For a sore throat and that coughing crud I mix some apple cider vinegar with honey, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Works like a charm to rid all that mucus and be able to breathe.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
its the sugar in the honey that draws the fluid out of the tissue on a prolapse. fluid out, swelling down and things can go back to where they belong. i mix honey and apple cider vinegar half and half and store it in a bottle in the fridge to put in my water as i drink it. i call it 'icky water' but i like it. the acv helps to dissolve gall stones, i don't have them but i have 'sand' in there that gives me a problem from time to time and my icky water makes things settle down.
also use honey for wounds as well as for coughs and colds like the rest of you. my 'formers' grand father almost killed me one time with whiskey and honey for a cold. way more whiskey than honey and made me drink it straight down. now I've always been a sippin' kind of girl myself and to have to slug that straight down almost killed me. didn't tho, cured me instead.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
and FEM he made wine out of anything that didn't run. was excellent. stout but excellent.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's awesome! I'm trying to make a batch of wine as we speak. It's been 'going' for about 10 days now and I think the ferment is pretty much done. I have two batches going. One of 'em I took a sniff of last night and I swear it burned all the hairs outta my nose, lol! I need to bottle it and let it set for awhile... might get brave enough to actually taste it in a year or so! And, just so I stay in the spirit of this thread - I'm sure it'll be medicinal - especially if I mix it with some honey. :hide

Anna j

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
2 million blossoms - it’s a book dedicated to the medicinal benefits of honey. They do clarify that its based off raw honey and that our typical American store bought honey has been heated and processed which kills off a lot of the “stuff” in honey that’s beneficial. Some of it can be challenging to read, it goes into cancer, diabetes like the other member mentioned, curing horse eye cataracts and the like going back to ancient Egypt and Greece along with modern day studies. Most are kept out of the limelight apparently because pharmaceuticals are big business these days. I’m still waiting on my little free loaders to produce anything I can use but the book is full of tonics, and tincture recipes and percentages for wound healing and cough/cold stuff. I did end up reading the whole thing...I would love to hear more of what people use. The ACV and half honey is new to me since I was raised a city girl and the generation who moved away from everything natural. Funny I’m a homesteader now!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've used it on deep burns before...took the fire right out of it immediately and by the next day the blister had went down and it was already healing. No scar, either.

We use it in the medical field for wounds that have a lot of odor and slough...helps these heal faster, decreases the drainage and odor.

I use raw honey in my drenches for sheep, along with mother vinegar, and garlic juice.