Medicine/Treatment list

craneman54

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Is there some kind of list of rabbit illness' with a list of meds or treatment ?

I have been doing some reading here and some people are looking for easy inexpensive ways to get rid of fleas,ticks,mites or any insect with an exoskeleton. From the research I have done, diatomaceous earth is not poisonous to humans or animals and is effective against all insect with an exoskeleton.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html

Thanks for any help given.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a good question.

I've not had any problems with fleas or ticks on my rabbits, but then my rabbits are not allowed on the ground.

Rabbit RX is good for ear mites, but then so is mineral oil or you can go with a stronger chemical dewormer who's name escapes me now, but someone will come back with that name.

Rabbit RX, as far as I can tell is the same product at Chicken RX. It has some nice smelling herbal oil in a mineral oil base that basically smothers the ear mites so you can clean the ears.

For diatomaceous earth to do much for ear mites you would have to get it way down in the ear canal which, to me, begs the question of how to get it back out.

Hope someone else comes back with some more information for you.

My experience with rabbits, going on 7 years now is that they are pretty healthy when fed a good diet, hay and kept as clean.

Sniffles, as oppose to an occasional sneeze, could mean your rabbit has pasteurella which is not a good thing. You can vaccinate against pasteurella with a new product called BunnyVac. Website is BunnyVac.com if you want more information on that. I vaccinate my rabbits, but that's just me.

Good luck with your rabbits!

Let me put in a plug for the American Rabbit Breeders Association, ARBA.net as a good place to go for information. Join the organization and get a very nice magazine every other month that has some really good articles on what is going on in the rabbit world.

craneman54

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I am going look at American Rabbit Breeders Association right now and see what I can find out. Having never raised rabbits I am sure I can find plenty of useful info.

The Q&A section is very informative. Thanks it helped alot.:thumbsup

Last edited: