Meet Pearl, New Horse

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
November 5, 2018, to now. I finally see Pearl gaining weight close to my goal for her. I didn't realize just how far down she was. She had no gut health, liquid farts, cow pies instead of horse apples. Her digestive tract mush have been utterly destroyed. She has been up, starting to look like a living animal, then go on a losing streak and skinny again, to the point of her ribs sticking out. It's been frustrating. I've thrown everything at her but the kitchen sink. I've fattened up some skinny horses before, but nothing like Pearl. She has come a long way.

She is being fed twice a day, 3/4 scoop of 14% pellets, 3/4 scoop cracked corn and a double handful of black oil sunflower seeds. Her butt is finally losing that bony pointed look, her backbone is getting fleshed out, still sticking up a little, but nothing like the mountain range it was. Her flanks are still drawn, but a huge improvement. She is shedding out now and her color is lighter than it was.

Lately, she has been feeling real good. She has broken out in a full gallop, tail up and racing Prince to the barn. Yesterday when I went to feed, Carson rushed the fence barking (it's a game Prince plays with the dogs) and she kicked up her heels, bucking, and took off running. I've never seen her do that and it brought a big smile to my face.

2 years and almost 5 months, it's been a long road, but we are finally getting there.

robhuncor

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So glad to hear she is finally improving!
Just some thoughts from the Thoroughbred breeding farm lady (me :D =D).. Has a vet ever evaluated her? Do you ever use sweet feed? De-worm and/or check for ulcers? Float teeth? Sometimes sharp teeth really affect a horse's condition. Sometimes a course of ulcer medication can help also. Just some things I would think of but pay no attention to me - you are probably right on all this.
You are doing a good job and she definitely has a good quality of life!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
90F8FCAD-F5EB-4A1B-9853-A9B88367F45E.jpeg

1ABA6ED1-02FE-4D7A-91AF-0FF47FE3ACAD.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes we took her to the vet, had her checked out, she’s been wormed multiple times, tried different feeds. We were told she was 12, vet said 15, so I’m guessing 17 now. I just never had a horse whose health was so destroyed. She also has heaves, but light riding doesn’t hurt her.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Glad she's doing better, especially with an older horse (she's not OLD but she's not a spring chicken either) it gets hard to get weight back on them once they drop it. If you can keep weight on an older one they maintain a LOT easier than they gain.