Meet Pearl, New Horse

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You two were meant to cross paths, truly a beautiful bond.
Yes we were. She still isn't real trusting, but we are getting there. She is a sweet girl and will have a good life here. I wish she could tell me about her life, but probably just as well that she doesn't. It couldn't have been a very good life, but she sure has a good life now, plenty to eat, no abuse, no hitting, and lots of love.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hopefully she can forget much of her former life. I'm sure she will learn to trust now that those bad things associated with "whatever" aren't happening now. Lucky Pearl, lucky Bay.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had to go back to page one and get the picture of her at the slaughter kill pen. She was so skinny, look at that scrawny neck. She didn't know where she was going, but I did. hmmmm…...it was love at first sight.

upload_2018-11-5_13-59-50-png.29167

Then I had to get a picture from a few days ago to compare the difference.

b621ac21-e4df-4afe-9724-1ef8097019aa-jpeg.30335

Today we went for our second ride. I am pleased. We rode about 6 or 7 miles, through the woods on the property next door, down a dead end road, back to the county road, down another dead end road, then to the corner. At the corner, I stopped her, she was fidgetedy, wanting to GO. I turned her around and we paced the 2 1/2 miles back. During our ride, she passed several tests. Pearl is not afraid of flapping plastic bags. Pearl is unafraid of culverts and the horse eating troll monsters that lurk within. She went past with barely a glance at the dark interior. We went over a narrow one car width culvert that spanned a 20 foot deep gulley with running water at the bottom. It was a steep drop off. She never broke stride, didn't look over the edge and shy, snort, or even flick an ear. Pearl is unfazed by barking dogs.

On the county road, here came a neighbor in his John Deere cab tractor. Not knowing if she would turn inside out and go to pieces, I stopped her and spoke calmly to her. Our neighbor is a old cowboy, he knows and trains horses, one of his sons makes his living being a cowboy, the other son cowboys on weekends. He saw me and slowed way down and got over to the other side of the road. We waved at each other as he went by. Pearl was perfectly ok with the tractor. A neighbor drove by and stopped to admire Pearl. The only problem Pearl had with that is she wanted to GO.

She enjoyed getting out and going for a ride and so did I. She's no spring chicken, but neither am I. There's a lot of life in both of these ol' gals and down the road we go!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's fantastic! She seems to take things in stride - literally, lol. Did you know she was broke to ride when you got her or was it all a gamble?
There is usually a short paragraph and hers said broke to ride. But yeah, it was a gamble. Then because she was so far down, weak and skinny, I wouldn't ride her until she regained much of her health.