Meet Pearl, New Horse

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
My mule is a TWH mule. She is gaited. She is also 16.3 hh! Sigh . . . . :confused: Sooooo tall. I can easily get another TWH here, I would like one around 14 hh so easier to get on and off! LOL I was told by my trainer that she could find me a nice one. Short TWHs are not popular although the little mare dh bred is only 15.2. She is beautiful and a wonderful ride too. My daughter-in-law has her now since she needed a gaited horse to ride with the people in Nipomo. DH gave her Skittles since I wasn't able to ride for a few years. No one to ride with and too much to do. Josie the Mule is a great ride, I just need to drag my mounting block with me when trailering out! It did make me popular with my ETI friends.
:gig

Would love to ride with you. The trails look wonderful, so many trees. Here we have very steep, open, rocky trails. Thus the mule! One of the trails at Montana De Oro is named Broken Nose, for obvious reasons. Picture a straight drop on rock ledges about 6' apart, with occasional railroads ties wedged in place for footing where the cliff has fallen away. You need to give the front horse about 6 lengths before starting down in case of accidents! That is at the beach camp near San Luis Obispo. Our local trails here are scary in places. Once my neighbor and I took a trail and halfway up we realized that all the dirt had washed away and our horses were trying to scale an almost sheer rock face! It kept getting steeper and we couldn't lead the horses up since there was no way we could have climbed it on foot! When we finally got up it (no room to turn around), we realized it would be worse trying to go down! Luckily, we forced another path through the brush on the side of the cliff coming back. Even worse, but luckily not slick rock, it had some dirt and brush growing out of the cliff. The whole time we were terrified that it might peter out at a sheep drop and would have to back the horses up and out. That trail used to be a nice ride 20 years ago but over the years it had washed away to a very dangerous trail. If we had realized before we got halfway up what it was like, we would have never attempted it! We were lucky our horses were sure footed. :fl

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
As of yesterday, Pearl is out of quarantine. She ran up and down the pipeline with her tail up like a flag. We let Joe, our 29 year old cremello QH out to meet her. They both ran up and down, having fun. Then we opened the gate to let Prince and Sparkles join the fun. They all spent the afternoon running, playing, huffing and puffing. I put Joe in the pen with Pearl to feed them both yesterday evening and will feed them together this morning. Joe needs a little extra and is a slow eater, so this will be good for them both. The rest of the time I will let them all run together.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pearl was PISSED at me when I went to feed this evening. She does not like Joe in her pen and laid her ears back to let me know it. I'm going to keep them together for a few days until he knows that he is fed there now. Pearl is just going to have to deal with it. :lol: She will have to learn to share and play nice. ;)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Joe is my Old Man and love of my life. I once sold a real nice mare because she terrorized him. She picked on him and he was scared to death of her. Ummmm no, not happening. A man admired her and we struck a deal. Gone.

Pearl might be a little selfish and miffed that she has to share, but she is not mean to him. It is all in the herd dynamics. Joe is always on the bottom of the pecking order but I will not allow another horse to be downright mean to him.