Meet Pearl, New Horse

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've rescued 2 skinny seniors and it seemed like it took FOREVER for their skinny little necks to finally fill out. Someone told me that horses gain weight backwards (hips first, then shoulders, then neck). I'm curious to see if you and Pearl have the same experience.
She's pretty now, she's going to be breathtaking once she's healthy again.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This afternoon, the sun came out. Cold, but not raining, and sunshine! Pearl stopped eating to go stand in the sun and bask in it's rays. I got a lead rope and brushes, looped the lead over a fence post and brushed her. I gave her more hay, this evening she got 6 cups of pellets, been slowly increasing how much she gets. Her flanks were so caved in and now they have filed out a little. It was nice to see her feel good enough to stop eating for awhile and go soak up some sunshine.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
"Hay" Miss Pearl and Baymule..... hope your day great and the bonding is getting stronger
This afternoon, the sun came out. Cold, but not raining, and sunshine! Pearl stopped eating to go stand in the sun and bask in it's rays. I got a lead rope and brushes, looped the lead over a fence post and brushed her. I gave her more hay, this evening she got 6 cups of pellets, been slowly increasing how much she gets. Her flanks were so caved in and now they have filed out a little. It was nice to see her feel good enough to stop eating for awhile and go soak up some sunshine.
I am so enjoying pearls story and your journy with her....this is going to be awsome for both of you :love

robhuncor

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Pearl looks beautiful, is she the Tennessee Walker that you wanted? Do you know how old she is? Take it slow with the grain, starved horses have to get their guts used to feed again so suddenly hitting them with a lot of rich grain can cause colic or laminitis. Usually you start off with just hay while they get their guts back in order. So far it sounds like she's managing ok with the grain though. Good luck with her.

Last edited:

Latest posts