Meet Pearl, New Horse

kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@kdogg331 if you have never had a horse, your first horse should be an older, experienced, been-there-done-that horse. Age should be from 10 to 18 years old. Don't be afraid of getting an older horse, they have a lot to give and would be a good teacher for you.

Absolutely agree with Baymule on that. Some mustangs are great and some aren't. Either way, you want to get a horse and RIDE! When you adopt a mustang, (which is what is sounds like you want to do) most are only 12-18 months old, still too young to break, let alone ride. Get an older horse between 10 and 16. You will have more fun, and get all the experience and enjoyment of riding and caring for a horse. If you get a young horse that is not even started, it can be a couple of years before you can ride, and several thousand dollars into training him. Then the horse is still green and has to be introduced to traffic, trails, water crossing, curbs, trained to trailer, etc. All this is doable but very expensive and can take years. Buy a sound, trained horse about 12 to 14 years old and have another 14 years fun riding him!

Pearl looks nice. I wonder if the pawing is a TWH things. Our Jubi (now gone at 30) used to paw when she was in the trailer, in her stall waiting to be fed, tied and wanting to go, etc. Her daughter does the same pawing behavior. I hope she continues on as well as she looks to be doing. Exciting!

Sorry, I haven't been on the site in a little while. Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. You definitely have good points and that is actually my plan to get an older horse. Definitely not afraid of older horses and for my first horse I do plan on looking for an older, calm, bombproof type horse. The mustang thing was more of just a dream/one day thing. I know I have nowhere near enough experience right now. But I do love them and one day plan on getting one. And once I have more experience, I also want to train it myself, at least mostly, so that might save on some of the expenses. But that's obviously a long way off. Also, I actually don't mind not being able to ride right away and just having like a pet until they are ready to be ridden, groundwork, walks, and lunging, and all that is almost more fun anyway. But that said, I definitely don't have anywhere near enough experience so I wouldn't be getting one anytime soon.

Today marks two weeks that we have had Pearl. She has gained some weight and must feel better. The dogs ran all around her, Carson the puppy ran under her belly. She finally got annoyed when Trip went up behind her to sniff her back legs. Pearl laid her ears back , began a squeal and was raising her back leg. I snatched at the halter, AAHHNNNTTTT!!!!!! And she stopped as quick as she started.

22b9baaa-9d06-4f6c-87cc-a5de15ca7397-jpeg.8982

f247dfef-f055-46b4-93c5-6f1b7c1fc678-jpeg.8983

cac43908-c26c-46ba-bd8c-cc67f53c899f-jpeg.8984

ffb472ff-73c8-4bc0-a8f6-fc3f8e73f79f-jpeg.8985

Wow she looks amazing!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cowgirl up! :lol:
Sometimes ya' gotta do what you have to do and let the rest wait for another day. sniffle, hack, cough, brrrr reach for blanket, get suited up and go check Miranda to see if she is in labor, blow nose, sniffle, get a bowl of hot potato soup, sniffle, cough, hack, blow nose......rinse-repeat. :barnie

robhuncor

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sometimes ya' gotta do what you have to do and let the rest wait for another day. sniffle, hack, cough, brrrr reach for blanket, get suited up and go check Miranda to see if she is in labor, blow nose, sniffle, get a bowl of hot potato soup, sniffle, cough, hack, blow nose......rinse-repeat. :barnie

:hugs:hugs

Latest posts