Meet Pearl, New Horse

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's a bit of a stretch, but I rescued a German Shepherd once that was a year and a half and looked like a walking skeleton with hair. He did very similar. Hair changed out to a beautiful coat and body toned up. It's amazing how a malnourished animal can get healthy. I am sure the larger the animal, the longer the repair time and a lot more effort! Your horse looks great!

robhuncor

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm in the most south eastern corner of Dutchess County right next to the Connecticut border, about 2 hours from the capitol region. I used to spend the yearling sale season working in Saratoga Springs every August.

Some of the things we do on the horse farm where I work is sales prepping of young stock, care of pregnant mares and foals and layups of racehorses. Bay, when we have a horse that needs building up a bit, the guys use a supplement called Body Builder to help condition them. I don't work hands on with the horses (I'm the office manager) but I know it's given daily on the feed pellets. Our feed is 14% protein, good quality that comes from Kentucky. The supplement cost is about $1/day and it's given until the horse improves or sometimes on a daily basis for poor keepers. A splash of corn oil on the feed is another option.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I sure am glad that Pearl is a calm horse. Whether that is from age, been there done that, or just her personality, where ever it came from, I am glad. When we have our two little grand daughters, ages 3 and 4 (almost 5) they go with me to feed the horses. they pet the horses and chatter incessantly. I give them safety cautions and am trying to teach them proper behavior. I was setting out some square bales yesterday, both of them were petting Pearl. I told them to stand at her shoulder to pet her.

I turned around and two giggling girls said "We walked under her tummy!"

Before I could react, the 3 year old said "Watch!" and she took off. I barely got NO out of my mouth and it was done. She charged at Pearl from 5 or 6 feet away and scooted under Pearl's belly shrieking with delight.

Pearl startled, ears laid back, hind foot raised and just as quickly, she realized it was a small child and dropped her foot, ears forward and continued eating her feed.

Thank you Dear Lord for a good horse.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good girl Pearl!! :love

When I was a teenager one of our horses was big old bay gelding named Moses. He was clever and curious and could open gates if you didn't put the precautionary chain around them. One day my mom had a friend visiting with her young 4 year old son.
Moses let himself out onto the lawn and was happily grazing. The little boy who was also playing on the lawn ran up to Moses and wrapped his arms around a hind leg. "Donna I caught your horse for you!" he hollered.
Mom nearly had an aneurysm but Moses stood perfectly still until she could walk up quietly and disengage the kids arms from his hind leg. Close call!