Meet Pearl, New Horse

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
MANE I swear I typed MANE not name.....darned auto correct on Ipad! It's not a horse oriented appliance. :D =D
Lol, it happens, yeah... that just grows... I don't do anything special to it, or even maintain it really, it just does that... He looks pretty goofy right now though, he managed to rip out his entire tail somehow so he's got this pathetic feather duster on his butt and all of that mane everywhere... I've thought about removing some mane to give him a tail again! lol

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure that auto correct is even human-oriented, maybe more humor-oriented with a rather sick sense of humor. :he

Spooky horses are the very devil to work with, aren't they? You never know what will set them off.
20181031_194250.jpg

The Tobiano-Sabino on the left is "Wig-Out-First-Ask-Questions-Later-Syd," who has taught me more about looking for potentially spooky stuff than I ever wanted to know. I never know what is going to turn into an impromptu de-spooking session. One time, I was giving the minis a bath in preparation for some event, and as it was a bit cool out, I broke out the hair dryer to speed the drying process up. Even though I had used it on Blondie just a few feet away, when I turned it on near Syd, she wigged. When I held it higher than her head, she wigged. When I accidentally bumped it with the brush, she wigged. Anyone who saw us would surely have thought I had totally lost it as I waved the hair dryer over my head, tapping it with the brush and swinging it this way and that until she finally stood quietly and just let me work.

I know that things that flap, and things over her head or back are likely to set her off, so I was quite prepared for her to have trouble with the wings on this costume (animal costume contest at our fair a couple of years ago). She never even blinked - but I know better than to expect that reaction the next time I try something new. :th

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Spooky horses are the very devil to work with, aren't they? You never know what will set them off.
Yep, and luckily, Papi is fine to work with on the ground (it's like flying a kite sometimes but he doesn't drag you or try to trample you) and is pretty low maintenance, neither fat or skinny on grass or grass hay, barefoot, no grain unless I just feel like giving them a cup or so as a treat, no health issues, so he's nearly free to keep around as a pasture ornament so there is no real pressure to endanger myself to try to make him useful.

Well, he is low maintenance other than that one time he tried to cut his foot off, that was quite a bit of maintenance, but he's all healed back up now and it's all good.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He looks ready for winter in Siberia!

Clearly you need to be belted to the saddle :D
Lol, he is ready for winter anywhere it gets super cold and doesn't snow... His legs are only about a foot long, he's not real good in the deep stuff. We had a 18" snow once and he stayed in the shed for over a week before it melted out enough he could leave (there was hay and water in there, he wasn't in NEED of leaving the shed)

Uh... I have seen horses buck like he does with a dummy belted to the saddle... the head flew off... I think I'll pass... lol

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today we worked in the feed and tack room. We stopped for lunch and I decided to saddle up and ride Pearl. It was 70 degrees, sunny, breezy and beautiful. We went out the gate, I got on and she took off in that famous Tennessee Walker gait. She felt good and was excited to be going somewhere. Her ears were pricked forward and I thought about @thistlebloom riding Syringa. Those pointy ears frame the best pictures.

We rode about 2 miles, she only slowed down going up hill. Then the Chicago screw that held the rein to the bit shank came out and suddenly I only had one rein, and holding the other rein dangling. Hmmmm..... Pearl was gliding at high speed so I gently slowed her down. Finally I got her to stop. She was dancing, wanting to go. I was able to thread the rein through the shank of the bit, doubled it back to me and held both ends. It looked like a good time to turn around.

Pearl gaited almost all the way home, finally slowed to a walk. Old girl was hot and tired. My knee was killing me but I got off at the gate and walked her to the portable building, unsaddled and walked her to cool her off.

We both had a great time.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so happy to hear this! Yay Pearl and Bay! :love
Sounds like a great ride, nothing like an eager horse moving along at a good clip.
So where's the pointy eared picture frame?
Oh, right, you were clinging to one rein with no extra hands for a Kodak moment 😄.

Those darn Chicago screws! One of mine came undone on my nice headstall/homemade sidepull. Fortunately I was only a few hundred feet down the trail and had my other bridle in the trailer.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ugh, I had snaps on my reins and had one unsnap leading up to a jump! Luckily the horse I was riding was super honest and loved jumping so he handled it fine, cleared the jump, and let me stop him somewhat easily on the other side. That could have been BAD with any other horse...

Latest posts