Meet Pearl, New Horse

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a WOW! moment today. We have had Pearl for 2 years. She is fairly easy to catch, but walks away from me, usually annoyed. She will follow me with a feed bucket, but what horse won't? I let her out after she eats and if I want to pet her, I have to hold her halter to keep her from walking away. I always talk to her, always pet and scratch her, then let her go.

This evening I opened the gate to let her out and scratched her chest. I didn't hold her halter. Pearl wrapped her neck around me and I rubbed and scratched her neck. I rubbed her side, belly and ribs. Then I switched sides. Pearl still didn't walk away and again wrapped her neck around me. I gave her lots of rubs and scratches. In 2 years, Pearl has NEVER asked for attention.

I put out a few flakes of hay, Prince and Sparkles stood in the barn eating hay, so I put some flakes outside for her. She stood in the doorway, watching me instead of going to the hay. I closed up the door to the feed room and walked Pearl over to a flake of hay. I talked to her and gave her some more rubs and scratches.

This has taken 2 years for Pearl to decide she can trust me. One of those WOW! moments I wanted to share 'cause I knew y'all would know how big it is

Palomino

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congratulations! That must have been so gratifying! :love
The fancy pinto mare I have is like that. She has never had much handling, so I can catch her in a small pen, but she does not come to me unless I have feed and I cannot touch her unless she is haltered. I hope one day she decides to be like Pearl.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had our granddaughters for the weekend. Pearl got some love from the youngest.
772BCA09-0543-4C4C-B1FC-AF9AF76C0C1C.jpeg

Then she took the two little girls for a ride. We went to the corner and back, about a mile. Pearl was a champion, she knew she had precious cargo aboard.
E633B51B-47B1-4172-97BF-375FC436A5B0.jpeg

66944EE0-5335-49E0-BDBE-C65C38D0576E.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The ring tailed tooter (youngest) wanted to go fast. She asked if next time, would I get a faster horse. :lol:

Turns out that Pearl's affection for me didn't last long. She was in heat and sized me up as a possible Baby Daddy. :gigPoor girl, she backed up to me, wringing her tail. I don't know what made her decide that I was a handsome hunk of a stallion. I had to break the news to her that THAT wasn't going to happen! As soon as she was out of heat, I was an annoyance again, who happens to bring her feed.