MELS. NEW ADVENTURES

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Best to have just a chicken door where Mel cannot get access to the eggs.
Joe did no training with Mel so I imagine Mel, like most dogs will just think they are his.

I do have to laugh because Chunk and Eliza are my Goose egg watchers! They guard those eggs with everything they have.
The geese are in with Chunk and the goose has gone to cuddling up to Chunk and laying her egg beside him.
Chunk is such a great dog, those geese are jerks to him but he lets her cuddle and guards her eggs. :idunno If I were chunk I'd be like Oh, yeah- watch this... chomp :lol:

I imagine you can teach him to leave them alone but some dogs are more difficult then others.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Best to have just a chicken door where Mel cannot get access to the eggs.
Joe did no training with Mel so I imagine Mel, like most dogs will just think they are his.

I do have to laugh because Chunk and Eliza are my Goose egg watchers! They guard those eggs with everything they have.
The geese are in with Chunk and the goose has gone to cuddling up to Chunk and laying her egg beside him.
Chunk is such a great dog, those geese are jerks to him but he lets her cuddle and guards her eggs. :idunno If I were chunk I'd be like Oh, yeah- watch this... chomp :lol:

I imagine you can teach him to leave them alone but some dogs are more difficult then others.

The two fluffy butts and the roo are loose to keep bugs down, fluffy butts are laying their two eggs under goat table.in goat house.....will just take them out of his mouth if he gets them first...all other chickens are in chicken yard...
I will train him, he is started listening to me as i got firmer with him today, and iis now comming when i call him and sits when i hold his face and talk to him......we will work through this together..

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My dogs will eat an egg in a heartbeat. Paris's original owners gave her eggs as a treat. :he Never could break her. She KNOWS better, but will still go get the eggs. I've seen her squeeze through a 9"x12" opening from the run to get in the coop.

Trip isn't so bad, but will get sneaky. Carson likes them too, we have talked about that.

It doesn't help that the guineas have made a nest in Pasture #1 and now I can't let the dogs in there. I read that guineas will lay 30 -50 eggs, they share a nest and they will share brooding. This will be interesting.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Guineas will set the nest but, abandon it quickly is it is "bothered". So, keep an eye out. I used to find the nests because, while the hen laid, the male would hang out on watch. Some of my chicken roos will do that, too. Helpful if the free rangers want to expand their nesting areas!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The nest is right up against the side of a chicken coop, a limb fell on it and I took the big limb off, but a bunch of little ones made a pile and that is where the nest is. I think I have 2 females, two eggs appeared today. It is going to rain tonight, will that spoil the eggs?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
B&B you may get a kick out of this. I did.
So my son stopped by today (like he does every Sunday LOL) and I was in the field checking does behind parts. My son and his GF were at the gate. I walked over and my son had some kind of soda drink or something like it and he was teasing Zephyr . GW and I said whoa don't give her any because I don't know what sweeteners are in there and Zephyr loves coffee and sweet tea so... don't. Jokingly he went to pretend to give her some and she was faster than him so it knocked the can back and a little spilled on the ground. "Blue" smelled it and then took a step and peed over it! :lol: "it" wasn't suppose to be in his field for his goats. Everyone started laughing.
I smiled and told him good boy. I guarantee you Zephyr would have tried to lick that off the ground if Blue didn't pee on it.
Blue is an incredible dog.
I can no longer carry coffee with me, my goats LOVE coffee. I don't use sugar at all. They love caffeine. :rolleyes:

Latest posts