MendonOrchards: Life on an Apple Orchard

MendonOrchards

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We had taken over Mendon Mountain Orchards officially Sept. 5, 2014. Jon and I had purchased it from his grandma who owned it for 35 years. The Orchard itself was established in the 1920's and we have approx 15 varieties of apples including Wolf River's, Wealthy's and a few other heritage breeds that no one has ever heard of. So far on our journey of adding livestock to our "farm" we have only gotten as far as poultry. Its a good start though! Chickens are a wonderful starting point. This has brought us enough joy to add ducks next, as well as more chicks! I ordered them to arrive sometime around Feb 15th and chicks will come a month later around March 15. The only issue now, is the critter room in our house which housed the brooders last year is not going to be a critter room anymore and the new one is under construction. :/ We have no ceiling, wallpaper is off the walls (we are painting them this time...) and the floor still needs to be redone.....all before ducks arrive...We will see lol. The ducks unfortunately may be squeezed into the current critter room, or more than likely one of our bathrooms. The life of constantly having projects to do! Sheep, goats, and other miniature livestock will be slowly worked up too as we start fencing in areas, making shelters, finding breeders, etc. Oh! and before I forget - meat rabbits. I never thought I could eat a cute furry critter.....but i am so intrigued. Healthy natural meat? Self sustainability? I'm drooling as we speak! (Don't tell my french angora that! She is only for fiber :p) That is about it for now, I will try to add pictures so people can see life at Mendon Orchards, instead of trying to just visualize this amazing beautiful place. ;)
1385726_551054811631939_1025200896_n.jpg
10375924_830801640323920_6182777216969594417_n.jpg
11150183_849907898413294_9096117998987976717_n.jpg

Keeva, our faithful white shepherd.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is it an orchard that you sell the fruit from? Do you raise the trees and sell them? Beautiful apple picture! Welcome from northeast Texas!! Can't wait to hear more about your orchard.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those apples look beautiful! I have several old apple trees on my property, planted by the original owner about 1950. Some trees have fallen over, but I'm trying to save as many as I can. I know a few are Yellow Transparent, the others are red apples.

I want to grow a variety called sheep's-nose apples, when I heard the name I thought, I have to have those!

MendonOrchards

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We do not raise trees and sell them, but we do the Pick-Your-Own apples, which is a big hit for the kids and families. We have yellow transparents too, they are an early season apple, and tasty! Jon went for a walk with Keeva this morning and found a beautiful deer antler. Perks of having a food they love in your backyard! Today has been pretty lazy for me though, he took care of the chickens this morning and I have been getting some bakery work done since I am getting my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow (uggghhhhhh) So i may be off for a few days. I'll tell you all about that next time lol. Wading pool has arrived and i need to go pick it up, this is going to be the duck brooder, then will be used as their pool outside. Figured couldn't hurt and its big enough! Less mess I hope anyways. - and to Norseofcourse: Ive heard of sheeps nose, but i cannot remember whether its a cider apple, eating apple, or what. We are hoping to get some nice cider apple trees since we produce our own unpasteurized, and sell it only off our property and farmer markets. (as well as hard...just for us :p )

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Enjoying your journal and hope you continue it once you recover from the wisdom teeth business. Keeva is a beautiful animal. I like the white shepherds very much and knew a couple of them a long time ago in a place far far away. Awesome dogs.

Maybe I should gather up some courage and ask you how to prune an apple tree. I have a several dwarf varieties that could use some work, but I have no clue or confidence to prune it correctly. Maybe you could recommend an easy to understand, lots of pictures book?

Anyway, your pictures are lovely!