MERRY CHRISTMAS, Beepeeple!

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow, the solstice has come and gone, the days are already getting just a teensy bit longer, and the queens are starting to lay up brood deep in the heart of the cluster!
Spring must be just around the corner!

This was a tough year in central VA honeywise, I only harvested about 80lb, but I learned a lot. I came out of winter with all 8 hives thriving, and now headed into winter with 20 hives. o_O Long story.

Oh - and I made 10g of mead, too, and bottled half of it as sparkling.:love

Here's lifting a glass to y'all and wishing you all the best in 2017! :frow

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Only 80 lbs? :th That is a TON for California! I *only* got 5 lbs off of 1 hive. :lol: And that was my best year yet.

Merry Christmas everyone! My 3 hives are doing well going into winter, and hoping for no sting allergies in 2017! I won't know until I get stung again. :fl

I did have to put robber screens on in the fall after mite treatment. There was some robbing action going on, but I caught it early. Protein patties went in right before it got cold.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got quite a bit of honey, but that is because I lost all five hives. :( I am hoping to get nucs from @soarwitheagles in a few months and if not then I will look for packages but DH really needs to take over this hobby and let me focus on the dairy. I am going to try some mead too but will use store bought honey for this batch.

Hope you have a prosperous and "uneventful" 2017.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year to all, especially my fellow beeks!

Only havested 80lbs of honey? With the drought and all, we only harvest that amount of honey in our dreams here! :(

Hopefully 2017 will be a different story.

We have hit a cold snap here...below freezing for a few days in a row and that is highly unusual for this locale. Bees appear to be doing well. We are waiting for it to warm up just a wee bit so the queens can return to their main business...laying eggs!

Babs, it is still too early to say how many nucs we will have come Feb.-Mar. We will keep you informed though!

Have a wonderful last week of 2016 everyone!