Messybun’s Small starts big dreams

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow, I just surprised myself with that title, it sounds epic. This journal probably isn’t going to be.
Right now there are goats, chickens, ducks, geese, a rabbit, and two dogs. I know I’m missing some things in here, but the important part is they aren’t forgotten at feeding time.
Why am I starting this you might ask? Well, my family thinks some of my ideas are a bit crazy and I want sympathetic enablers. I’d also like to see where it started and where it goes.
Crazy ideas? I didn’t hear anyone ask but I’ll tell you any ways. Letting my dog (poodle mix) grow his hair out so I can practice spinning. Keep in mind this dog likes to seek out the worst smelling stuff and roll in it, and his hair already picks up EVERYTHING; so totally a great idea. I’m also obsessed with sheep at the moment. I just know I could work them in.
Now, it would also be great to make all my own chicken feed, grow it myself you know. While my gardening skills are nothing to scoff at (more like belly laugh entirely) I’m not sure how I could grow enough chicken forage in the winter but that’s for more research later.
Anyway, hello to whom ever is reading this, and have a great day!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with having ideas/dreams, everyone has to start somewhere! I know we have changed up/out what animals we currently have based on our kids interest and mine(DH says he just works to make it happen!)

Maybe instead of trying to spin your dog's fur(especially if he gets it nice and smelly for you first), you could add the sheep for that reason :D =D!

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @messybun,

I am glad to see that you have started a journal. Please share with us more about yourself. And don't be shy -- you are among friends. And like Miss @Hens and Roos said, there is nothing wrong with having dreams. Please post lots of pictures of your animals and your farm. We all love pictures.

I look forward to reading more of your adventures.

Senile Texas Aggie

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
My sister used to raise Great Pyrs and spun their comb outs into yarn and made clothing out of it, so it has been done and can be done. I'm sure there are folks out there doing it who can instruct you in that matter.

We love pics and you'll love yourself by making a picture record of where you started and how far you've come. I've done it for years now and it's always amazing to me just how much I/we have done over the years, how many changes we've made, etc.

How much acreage are you dreaming on? What part of the world are you dreaming in? Letting us know these few things will help in any advice you may ask for later on.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, I’m on the east coast (America) and a little less than 2 acres. Right now it is a hobby farm and I’m hoping to get some more useful animals; our current ones are all pets. I tend to have grand ideas, over research them and then decide whether to do them or not. As far as sheep if I find the right breed next spring I’ll try them. We don’t have that many wool sheep locally, by not that many I mean literally any, so I’ll have to look around. Maybe at a livestock auction, but I avoid those like the plague, partially because they carry the plague lol. Bee kissed, that is awesome! My poodle mix is 14 lbs, so I might get a book mark out of him? It would be more for the heck of it and practice.
As far as empires, do my chickens count? I have over forty birds and an incubator that I need to fill! I also need to figure out what to grow for this winter vegetable wise, and I already have next year’s summer garden planned. Have I mentioned my gardening skills are horrible yet? I almost feel cruel for sprouting plants just to murder them, but it’s getting better.

Latest posts