Mice got into animal feed/grain bags.... are they still good?

EmilyClick28

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Opened my cracked corn bag to quite a surprise, a live mouse was in it! went to grab a rubber mallet and come back and smash it but it got away. i looked closely and discover a hole chewed through the bag.... i then discovered more holes in the horse grain, rabbit pellet, and chicken feed.... strangely no mouse pills found yet. the bags are all at least half full and i'd hate to throw out all that feed. is it safe to feed it to my animals? is it possible for mice to carry diseases to my animals? i definitely want to use it if its safe but its not worth killing the animals over a few bags of feed.. just wondering if its still good do you think?
The bags are stored in large feed bins outside. don't know how a mouse could have gotten in there.... they are sealed tightly with lids.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:hu shouldn't think it would be an issue... I mean there are mice in their pasture/fields/all around... they pee and poop there as well. Something like mold would be an issue, but otherwise, I would think it would be fine...

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use feed that mice have been in. I do kinda wince at feeding dog food that have had mice in it but chicken feed and grain I will feed. I have started buying metal trash cans as the mice have chewed through the plastic ones. Time to set another trap.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also have mice, darn! We are feeding them well! We are switching to metal trash cans with lids. I hate those darn mice!

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had that issue and still fed the feed to my animals with no issues at all. But we switched to metal trash cans and have had no issues since!

EmilyClick28

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
really! yeah we have a metal barrel with lid and have had no mice in that one, but the mouse did get into the plastic barrel. although there were no holes chewed through the barrel itself, i think we may have left the lid off for a day or two and they must have gotten in there. well thank you very much! i'll go ahead and use the feed up but be sure to try and avoid letting more mice get in! thank you!

BantammChick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I feed my chickens in a metal trash can.Once I forgot to put the lid back on,and a mouse got in.:lol:I got the mouse out with a butterfly net,and fed the chickens the food.

AFewGoatsForMe

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We use the 15 gallon plastic storage totes from Walmart. They come with a lid, we paid less than 4$ each. Does very well to keep the mice and rain out.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do a combination of containers, have old chest type freezer for the goat/sheep feed and use metal trash cans for the chicken, duck, rabbit and dog feeds. use to use 5 gallon buckets to store grain in but the rats were able to chew into the top of it too. i'm giving real serious consideration to getting a barn cat or too.

Latest posts