1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Bee Hives. Swarm information, history, lessons and more
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Microchip for livestock, would you?

Discussion in 'Equipment & Supplies' started by secuono, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Jul 14, 2017
    greybeard

greybeard True BYH Addict

On a different, but related note, I have heard local/state lawmakers discuss requiring chips in all livestock because of the increase in livestock/automobile collisions. Far too often around here, someone will hit a cow or horse on the highway, and the owner of the animal just says something like "Ain't mine..never saw it before." and avoids any legal liability for damages. It sucks, but happens.
    (for the most part, legislators around here are also attorneys so you can guess which side of the bread their butter is on)

Unless something has changed, we already are supposed to brand or tag 'sexually intact' cattle that go to sale here in Texas, but I see lots that are not.
    http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/vets/2012-10-31_VetADTMessage.pdf

2. Jul 15, 2017
    Alaskan

Alaskan Overrun with beasties

Loved the video!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. Jul 20, 2017 at 5:26 AM
    The Old Ram-Australia

The Old Ram-Australia Loving the herd life

G'day,chipping is mandatory for all cattle in Aussie and now one state(Vic) will require it from next year to sell sheep and goats in that state,in NSW we have just had a whole new lot of regulations "thrust" upon us and an annual fee as well for us to be able to sell stock on the open market,in reality it will drive the underground black market in sheep and goats.I wrote a item on my LinkedIn site if you wish to read my reactions.

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/5103247

I expect that we in NSW will get it in about 2 years time......T.O.R.

4. Jul 20, 2017 at 3:16 PM
    Alaskan

Alaskan Overrun with beasties

My nightmare. ...