1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Lumps and eye problems - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Middle TN bee winters

Discussion in 'Everything Else Bees' started by Anna j, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Mar 21, 2019
    Anna j

Anna j Chillin' with the herd

I went to my first bee meeting today. Holy cow lots of information. John of Wolfcreek apiary advocates feeding Cane sugar as opposed to regular sugar and ensuring pollen feeding/supplements in the fall. I’ve lost two hives in two years over winter. I insulated this year and we know one hive (bought 2 last year to replace the one) had a weaker start due to a late season swarm. We didn’t supplement with pollen and he said since there may not have been that many drones around she may not have been bred fully. As I know there are a million different reasons a hive may die, I’m mostly interested in what y’all do to winter your hives,...and have them survive! Not much point if I have to restart every year. Expensive and no honey! :he I also plan to Start a journal so I can keep better track of things. What do you do?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Mike CHS likes this.
  2. Mar 24, 2019
    Anna j

Anna j Chillin' with the herd

As a side note, after some quick research, domino sugar is cane sugar. But apparently some discount sugars are beet sugar and don’t supplement bee life even though they’ll drink it like normal cane sugar water.