1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

mildew in hive

Discussion in 'Habitat - The Beehive' started by Alicia, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Nov 14, 2015
    Alicia

Alicia Loving the herd life

Hi all. Its been very rainy with temps 40-55 degrees. Inspected hive today and found mildew on inside of of top cover. Colony below looks great and no sign of mildew there.
    What should I clean with and how do I prevent more?
    Thanks!

2. Nov 14, 2015
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

What I would do is buy a new outer cover and replace the one with mildew. Then do a 50:50 bleach and water spray down of the bad cover and set it aside to dry and for use later when the new one gets mildew-y

3. Nov 14, 2015
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

Agree with @Latestarter. I think that prevention is going to be ventilation. You need to leave the lid ajar or some people drill a 1" hole in the side of the top box and cover them with screen. You need the ventilation so you don't get condensation too. Condensation can drip back on the brood nest and chill them. Telescoping covers are nice but much harder to vent a corner of it than the flat covers they use commercially. I have both, like the flat ones better.

4. Nov 14, 2015
    Alicia

Great, thanks. I will look into a new cover and sstart cleaning. Also will look into the flat cover.
    Appreciate the help.

5. Nov 14, 2015
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Another way to add ventilation is to add a 1/2" high piece of wood under both front corners of the outer cover reaching from the outside ends to within about an inch of center. Like this|========XXX=======| You want to leave an opening maybe 1-2 inches long at the center point. With the back of the cover all the way down, it will leave a gradually increasing opening on either side as well as the 2" opening at the front. You want to keep the front opening small as it will need to be defended by the bees to prevent robbing.

Edit: It wouldn't let me show the opening to scale, so;
    | is the side of the box
    = is the 1/2" high stick
    XXX is the 2" opening in the center

6. Nov 22, 2015
    Alicia

Update. ..got the mildew all cleaned out. Bees look great, busy. Comb looks uniform and full.
    Thanks for the help and support!

babsbag and Latestarter like this.