Milk/Colostrum Question

LoneOakGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a pygmy nannie that had twins last December, her first kids. On July 4, she got in with a pygmy billy & possibly bred again. As of two weeks ago, she was bagging up nicely, is really showing, & had a milky colored discharge. Within the last week, her bag is completely gone. Her belly is still huge. Her December babies are still in the pasture with her, and as late as mid August, I saw them still trying to nurse some. Not much, but some. Wondering if anyone else has experience with something like this? I now have her separated from the rest of the herd. Thank you!!

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those sneaky kids will nurse every chance they get. I made that mistake one year and the older kid was trying to nurse with the babies. I am not sure about colostrum and how it is made, what triggers it, etc. I don't know if it can be depleted early and not made again. I was told that I should not have kept the older kid with the dam as she would drink all the colostrum but the kids were fine so I am really not sure. It is good that she is separate and hopefully she will bag up again.