Milk production and breed ID

Mindi13

Just born
Reaction score
I have a doe who kidded and immediately abandoned the kid. Shes 6 days past birth and I've been milking her to give milk to kid. It was rough the 1st 3 days as shes a first time freshener. I'm not getting much milk, I've gotten 1 big human baby bottle of milk the last 24 hours, is this normal? Also IDK what breed she is, I was told dwarf when I bought her a year ago but I really dont know tia!

Mindi13

Just born
Reaction score
I have a doe who kidded and immediately abandoned the kid. Shes 6 days past birth and I've been milking her to give milk to kid. It was rough the 1st 3 days as shes a first time freshener. I'm not getting much milk, I've gotten 1 big human baby bottle of milk the last 24 hours, is this normal? Also IDK what breed she is, I was told dwarf when I bought her a year ago but I really dont know tia!
20190228_164037.jpg

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She's cute! They don't give a lot at first, keep milking her, make sure she has some alfalfa hay, it helps to produce milk.

Mindi13

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks! That's what I figured. Any idea if she does appear to be a pygmy?
She's cute! They don't give a lot at first, keep milking her, make sure she has some alfalfa hay, it helps to produce milk.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like a dwarf/pygmy cross

How many times a day are you milking?
Supply and demand. The more you milk the more she will make. You will either need to increase her production or start adding whole cows milk from the grocery store because that won't be enough for a day of milk.