Milk production decreased

homesteadingcowgirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have an Ayreshire cow with a two month old calf on her. We have consistently been getting 1 1/2 to 2 gallons every morning. This last week her production has dropped to less than one every morning. The only change is she has been out to get fresh grass every day (still has all she can eat). Could the drop be from being on grass as compared to hay or is this an indication that she could be coming into heat? I'd appreciate any ideas Thanks

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Green grass shouldn't make her production drop unless it's really poor quality but, even plain grass shouldn't make her drop like that.

Where are you at and what has your weather been like? Are you part of this heat wave we've been getting? If so, right there is most likely your culparate.

If not, does she get grain? If so, how is she eating it?

homesteadingcowgirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
yes, she has grain morning and night-we have had some pretty significant heat, so I had considered that as well. The grass isn't great quality (but I think is sufficient), which is why she has still been getting all she wants of hay. I am hoping the production picks back up as we drink a gallon/day. What do you think of the coming into heat issue? I am looking for other signs, but that's often guesswork anyways.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
are you letting the calf run with her.if so that could be the reason her milk has dropped off.because the calf is drinking more.how much grain are you feeding her.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
are you letting the calf run with her.if so that could be the reason her milk has dropped off.because the calf is drinking more.how much grain are you feeding her.
I have an Ayreshire cow with a two month old calf on her.
So I would say the calf is with her. Actually, depending on your plans, a 2 month old dairy calf can be weaned, if you'd like.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
well then the calf is drinking more milk.thats why her production has dropped.

homesteadingcowgirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies-we keep the calf (I call him Fidgit) off of her during the night and have for a while now. I am okay with keeping him on her at this time as up until recently we have been getting plenty. I also think that she gives more for me than my husband, but don't tell him cause then hel'll try and get out of milking chores:p Hopefully cooler weather will be coming soon

Latest posts