milking goat possibly had chemicals when is it safe to milk?

rellikmalinois

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello all,
my neighbors decided to bring over fresh step crystal cat litter buckets full of water to our goats without our permission. The goats already had water but my assumption is that cause we are weaning the babies they are making extra noise and the neighbors thought they were helping. I am not happy about this, as 1 its trespassing and 2 I have no idea if these bins were rinsed before giving them to my goats. How long would you wait to know the milk was safe?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I am not sure what is in cat litter other clay, sand, maybe some baking soda or other deodorizer. I wouldn't think that it would be anything serious that would give cause to not drink the milk, especially if they were buckets that had been cleaned out and that they had just saved for reuse.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Pearce Pastures said:
I am not sure what is in cat litter other clay, sand, maybe some baking soda or other deodorizer. I wouldn't think that it would be anything serious that would give cause to not drink the milk, especially if they were buckets that had been cleaned out and that they had just saved for reuse.
x2

Briard'nSheep

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
from their website..

Fresh Step Clay contains a high-quality clay, fragrance and borates. Fresh Step Scoopable contains odor-eliminating carbon, bentonite clay, limestone, fragrance and borates. Fresh Step Crystals is made from silica gel, a porous substance that quickly traps liquid and then allows it to evaporate, and a fragrance. Fresh Step Plus Dual Action Crystals combines scoopable clay with an odor locking mineral crystal.

I'd be worried about the fragrance (do buckets still smell of it?) silica gel, etc..

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Thanks for the ingredients list.

Clay is harmless, silica gel is just a moisture absorber and would only be harmful if they were eating a good bit of it and would doubtfully transfer anything into milk, and borates are just about everywhere. I wouldn't worry about it but if you would feel better dumping milk for a few days, that is up to you of course.

rellikmalinois

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It was not the clay it was the crystals which I just looked up are made of silica gel, apparently non toxic. Sorry! I was in a bit of a panic!