Milking goat problems

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK so I am still quite new to this whole milking business for the most part we have it down. My doe is a first time freshener she would not let her kid eat at all. When I milk her she does kick quite a bit sometimes more then others. Her tears point directly in to the hollow area of her legs which I believe is what causes her to kick when milking.... I don't like her where the tears point it makes it frustrating to milk her. My husband wants to build a new milk stand with what he calls stir ups to keep her from kicking. She doesn't kick out or crazy she stomps more accurately described whic h is still annoying. I have been milking her for a month, she still does the stomping which can hurt when finish milking her by hand at the beganing I use a small milking machine. I just don't think my husband idea for tieing her legs will help in the past when I hobbled her she would freak out more so I stopped and for the most part she has calmed down but would like her to stop completely.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you lift a leg it will make it extremely hard to kick/stomp. You use a machine, the hand milk to empty. I believe the hand touching her leg is maybe a problem for her -- ? -- Have you tried holding her udder with one hand, to move from leg, then milking with other? Try massaging udder with machine attached, for last of it?? Is she out of feed, add hay.

These are things I have done. May help.

Terry Farha

Just born
Reaction score
I am new to this website and i am trying out to figure out how to ask a question? But my question is, I have goats are giving me a hard time milking them when they get on stand. I have to run after them first thing and catch them. Once i catch and put on stand they start squatting and i have tried everything. I put corn while they are on stand i still having bad luck. Can someone give me some suggestions.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Patience. That is about all you can do. If you are feeding corn on the stand I would change it to a better feed. I use a dairy goat feed from a local mill. If you can find a sweet feed that that goats LOVE they will start to come to get milked as they want that feed. If you find a food she likes she won't be able to lay down and eat at the same time; problem solved.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don feed corn, I feed two parts barely two parts oats one part sunflower and one part calf Mana and sometimes some beet bulp. However when I was training my doe daisy I use (based off southern by choice and Latestarter advice and what I had) I used two lead ropes and tired the under her blly and over my mil stand but mine has a roof over top. Here a picture not this doe doesnt have to be tired she use to when she would kick but she didn't lay down like daisy. IMG_20190108_114655.jpg

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am new to this website and i am trying out to figure out how to ask a question? But my question is, I have goats are giving me a hard time milking them when they get on stand. I have to run after them first thing and catch them. Once i catch and put on stand they start squatting and i have tried everything. I put corn while they are on stand i still having bad luck. Can someone give me some suggestions.
First, :frow welcome to Backyard Herds. You have come to the right place to ask questions and get some good advise.

As far as kicking goats, my first two LaMancha’s were kickers. It was SO frustrating, but eventually we figured out that we needed to die their back legs to the milk stand. It took some time (as in several months), but eventually they got the message and stopped kicking. So yes, patience is the key. Ours never squated down, so I’m not sure what to do about that. I know @Southern by choice and @Goat Whisperer had a problem with that, at one time. Maybe they have a suggestion.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are feeding corn on the stand I would change it to a better feed. I use a dairy goat feed from a local mill. If you can find a sweet feed that that goats LOVE they will start to come to get milked as they want that feed.
I always milk my girls at meal time and give them their regular meal in a bucket. They willingly jump up on the stand and go straight to their bucket. Problem solved.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bucket turned upside down under the belly. Make sure it is the right height, it should slide right under.
Work patiently.
Those that are dam raising generally put up a fight til they are well trained in milking.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the idea of the upside down bucket, @Southern by choice. And patience is definitely the key.

Another thought. Whenever you put them on the stand, to do maintenance, give their bodies (including their udder) a good rubbing, so they get used to being touched. I go at them from all sides, including the back. Then when it is time to milk them they won’t be so sensitive about being touched. That will probably help FF when it’s time for the kids to start nursing off mom.

Terry Farha

Just born
Reaction score
I don feed corn, I feed two parts barely two parts oats one part sunflower and one part calf Mana and sometimes some beet bulp. However when I was training my doe daisy I use (based off southern by choice and Latestarter advice and what I had) I used two lead ropes and tired the under her blly and over my mil stand but mine has a roof over top. Here a picture not this doe doesnt have to be tired she use to when she would kick but she didn't lay down like daisy.View attachment 57484
Thank you but i am celiac and cant have barley so i dont feed my goats wheat, barley or oats.