Milking goats

Junior

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've done a bit of research and am thinking of getting a couple of goats for milk. I don't want it to be too difficult as I've got school and other responsibilities but I believe I've got enough time to milk her before and after school.

According to my research a Nigerian Dwarf Goat would be a good way to go. Is this correct? Is there another breed you would recommend?

We had a castrated male a few years ago so I know how to look after them. Our fences are good and we get plenty of thistles and other weeds around here so she'll have plenty of feed. We've got sheep and a pony but they don't eat them so the goats would have it all to themselves. I know goats are different to sheep but I know what to do with sheep so I'll know some basics and can learn from there as I need.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
According to my research a Nigerian Dwarf Goat would be a good way to go. Is this correct? Is there another breed you would recommend?
It depends on if you want milk all year, or if you just want milk for a few months a year.

If you have 2 milkers, you can alternate pregnancies.... get one pregnant, then 6 months later get the other pregnant. That would help give you milk for most of the year.

The problems with Nigerian Dwarves is they tend to have tiny teats, and shorter milking times. However, if you stagger the pregnancies that can make short lactations less of a problem. As to tiny teats... check first! Make sure you are comfortable milking the teats that you are buying.

My suggestion would be ignore breed, and look at disease (you want them tested for CL, CAE, and johnes), lactation length, production amount, teats in general (it isn't just size/comfortable hand fit. Some teats can have a tiny hole at the end so the milk comes out more slowly), and personality.

Personality is pretty important. Some does are easy to lead, easy to milk, and some are huge stinkers.

If you can milk the doe first, that would be golden.

Also, a really high production milker might give you the amount of milk you want with only one milking a day. So.... you might want a super producer, and only milk once a day.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
You also need to figure out pregnancy angle. Keeping a buck and a weather (castrated male) friend for only 2 does is a lot of work. Finding buck to pay as stud once or twice a year is better idea.

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
also, Nigerians only produce a few cups a day I prefer bigger goats that produce more like half a gallon.

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
also, Nigerians only produce a few cups a day I prefer bigger goats that produce more like half a gallon.
My NDs produce half a gallon a day per doe. They also stay in milk for a LONG time.

With any breed of goat that you intend to milk, it's VERY important to make sure that they come from well known lines, have been bred for production, and it's an extremely good idea to look at their ancestors udder conformation. I've seen just as many standard sized goats that would NOT be suitable for milking as NDs Nigerians make outstanding mini dairy goats (when from the right breeder of course)! They are also great for those who don't want to be constantly swamped in milk.

@Junior, did you ever end up getting goats?

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
my first-timer doe produces 2-2 1/2 cups of milk

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Quality nigerians don't have shorter lactations. They also don't have tiny teats. While they will not produce as much milk as a quality standard sized goat, good ones can produce a half gallon today.

Buy quality animals from a herd that can produce milk records.

1638642531461.jpeg

1638642551938.jpeg

1638642575405.jpeg

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
How long are the lactations on yours?

When we milk test, we test for 305 days. Most of ours are producing around 1100 lbs in 305 days, that's what we look for.

We typically breed ours every year, but we have some that could be milked through.

We had a doe who was grand champion at this years N.C. State fair in Oct 2021 and the last time she had freshened was August 2020.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we milk test, we test for 305 days. Most of ours are producing around 1100 lbs in 305 days, that's what we look for.

We typically breed ours every year, but we have some that could be milked through.

We had a doe who was grand champion at this years N.C. State fair in Oct 2021 and the last time she had freshened was August 2020.
Very nice!

Length of lactation is so important.