Milking goats

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Quality nigerians don't have shorter lactations. They also don't have tiny teats. While they will not produce as much milk as a quality standard sized goat, good ones can produce a half gallon today.

Buy quality animals from a herd that can produce milk records.

View attachment 88405

View attachment 88406

View attachment 88407
Wow, now I want a buck from @OneFineAcre . Look at those teats and teat placements-hard to find in Nigerians. That looks like a lot of years of good breeding and hard work. Wow!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You all know that I don't have goats and am not really a goat person. But I have followed @OneFineAcre 's thread and accomplishments over the years I have been on here and I can say I am VERY IMPRESSED with the quality of the animals they raise and show. Being a milk tester, I also am impressed with their records.... and you have to realize that I see alot of very very nice cow udders.... registered and grade. They have some exceptional animals.
So glad to see them back posting on here too. And how many years has it been since you have been cigarette free???

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You all know that I don't have goats and am not really a goat person. But I have followed @OneFineAcre 's thread and accomplishments over the years I have been on here and I can say I am VERY IMPRESSED with the quality of the animals they raise and show. Being a milk tester, I also am impressed with their records.... and you have to realize that I see alot of very very nice cow udders.... registered and grade. They have some exceptional animals.
So glad to see them back posting on here too. And how many years has it been since you have been cigarette free???
Sept 2nd was 3 years.

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
how much does a first-time Nigerian usually produce for you I don't know if mine just doesn't have good milking lines.

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
how much does a first-time Nigerian usually produce for you I don't know if mine just doesn't have good milking lines.
It really depends on the individual doe. My half Pygmy/ND doe produced 1 quart as an FF per milking. My full ND produced 2.5 - 3 cups per milking as an FF. Usually, their production will increase with each freshening for the first few years.

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
my Nigerians producing 2 cups every time i milk her.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have one that will stand politely and produces about half a gallon per milking and tries to stay in milk forever...but I've had some that will start at 2 cups per day then drop off to about 3/4 of a cup after 8 weeks. Depends on that goat. If you want a more sure shot at a decent amount of milk consistently try for a mini or a pair of standards of breeds that are known for a long lactation or go to a dwarf breeder who is GOOD and knows and will tell you this info about their herd. It's tricky.

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I got my registered ND from emerald C ranch, as well as an unregistered saanen that is 8 months, and i just purchased a buckling that's registered.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got my registered ND from emerald C ranch, as well as an unregistered saanen that is 8 months, and i just purchased a buckling that's registered.
I suspect that saanen is going to blow the nigerian out of the water for production, but the nigerian will blow her out of the water for butterfat. Sounds like fun.