Milking machine... so confused!!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok I need help. I bought a cruddy milking machine before I had a milking doe, and before I knew that this particular machine was going to be a terrible idea. Anyway, I am trying to figure out if I can add some parts to make it goat-friendly.

Here is where I'm confused- what in the heck is the claw for? Is it necessary? I see Caprine Supply has a milker setup with no claw, and two with different kinds of claws. Anyone know why? I don't get it. It looks like I can add a pulsator without much of a problem, and get silicone inflations. But the claw? I don't get it.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Can't you contact the manufacturer and ask for guidance/help?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The milk claw probably has more purposes than I know of but the main one for me is keeping the inflation on the goat. It helps level out the vacuum, shuts off the vacuum if the inflation falls off, starts the vacuum when you put it on and probably a whole lot more. I have used three different kinds and hands down the ITP 207 from Hamby is my favorite. My second favorite is the Goat Claw from Caprine Supply.

What kind of machine do you have and do you have pictures? They can be confusing and intimidating but once you get it working it will all make sense. I am in the process of buying all new inflations and tubing for the dairy. $$$

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks babs! DH did some research and figured out how to put it together. He said the claw appears to separate the milk and air? Which would level out the vaccuum. Let's hope we can make it work.

Yuck. Expensive!!!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
What I like the most is that the vacuum shuts off if the inflation is removed. Prevents dirt from getting sucked up and keeps the other inflation working. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last year I started milking two at a time with my bucket milker. The dairy will milk 4. If I was only milking a few I would stick to one at a time, so much easier.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah I do well with one at a time. I don't have the attention span to pay attention to multiples, lol!