Milking question

Rrand5

Just born
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a Lamancha and her 2 month old doelings,this is her first "freshening" (not sure if I'm using that term properly). I started milking her a week ago, not exclusively, babies are still nursing and I haven't started weaning them at all. It is more just for practice for me and her. I usually only get about a cup morning an night. I have to leave for 3 days now and have someone who will feed them while I am gone, should I try to find someone to milk her as well, or will the babies do a good enough job for the 3 days I am gone?? I am just worried that I'm going to come home to weaned kids and a dried up mama, lol

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Since you really haven't started weaning yet, and haven't been taking a lot, leaving her to the kids for a few days won't really make that much difference. If you were to take the kids OFF her completely and were milking then stopped for 3 days, that might cause a problem.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just as an aside, at 2 months, those kids are ready to be weaned. After you get back, you may want to start separating them away from mom overnight, then you take all her milk in the morning before putting them back together. After a week or so, you can separate them permanently for a couple/few weeks and you milk twice (or 3 times) a day to build/maintain production. After the kids have forgotten about nursing and are eating normally they can all be put together again.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Congrats on the new goats! I recently had an issue with a relative in the hospital and for 4 days couldn't keep up with milking both of my goats. I made time to milk the doe without a kid but I left the other gal with her then 15 week old kid for a couple days while running between work, hospital and home to sleep basically. We are back up to what she was producing before all of that now and her kid is weaned now at 16 weeks old. It really made me appreciate the choice we made to leave them together for the 16 weeks until getting a buddy for the kid this time around.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Her kids will milk her just fine while you are gone. I weaned a couple of kids over a month ago and just recently reunited the kid and her dam. Well guess who is right back to nursing as if she was never separated? BRAT !!!! Most does will let those kids nurse for 5 months or more given a chance.

And yes, you used the term "freshening" correctly.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are really worried about it, do a "test run" first. Skip a day and see what she looks like. Chances are that her kids will be taking advantage of the extra milk. It depends on the doe, but I think your girl will be fine.

I personally don't like weaning lamancha kids at 2 months. Some do, but for me I like keeping them on milk longer.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
LOL the kids are NOT going to self wean at 8 weeks.
Lamanchas kids at 8 weeks are eating other things but if the teat is still around they are going to be on it! :D

I would wait til you get back. Goats that are new to milking are difficult enough and they get use to one person. That is a good thing. If the person has a difficult time and get s stressed the doe will pick up on that and be near impossible to milk.