Milking question

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The single kid may die on a second freshener. He is off in a couple of ways and not nursing well as far as I can see. I have taken colostrum from momma and bottlefed him some of that but he still isn't nursing well. Doesn't take bottle well either. Pulls back and to the side as hard as he can on her and bottle.

As far as milking momma, he isn't nursing so is milking her twice a day sufficient? Can I use the machine? She is of course a dairy breed so how long can I give them (him to nurse and her for her udder health) to try to keep working on it?

He was born at 9 am yesterday. His backside is clean so he is likely not nursing even when I am not trying to make him nurse.

I have only milked out about 1/2 cup since then (yesterdayabout 8 hours post birth). She was antsy and i still had hopes of getting him to do the job.

Should I get her milked out ASAP or keep trying with the baby?

Baby stands around looking dopey for lack of a better word. His eyes are off (like maybe blind but he is newborn and I have never focused so intently on a kids eyes).

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is her udder getting full and tight? I guess I would be milking her if you are planning to keep her in milk. You can always keep trying to feed the buckling by helping him on the udder and bottle.

Sorry to hear that the buckling is having problems :hugs

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Her udder has lumps as well. Almost looks like mosquito bites. I will bring her down and fully milk her. Save the milk and try to feed to little guy.

Machine milking is okay? I know some of her fullness is likely just swelling and not all milk.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We've given several kids who did not seem vigorous thiamine and selenium this year with good results.

I don't know the answer about using the machine.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
one teat seemed plugged. Milk squirted in 3 separate streams at first but I got it unplugged and flowing freely so I used the machine. I didn't go until the flow stopped but still got 1.5 quarts of colostrum.

Her udder was very hard and tight. She doesn't hand milk very easily.

I tried again to get buckling to nurse. And put an oz of milk into bottle for the boy. He chewed on the nipple then pulled away. He seems to swallow okay. Has a weird spot on his head. I could almost guess maybe missing skin over the skull of the skull isn't complete? Something weird about his skull. Like just above his eyes has has a rounded spot like bone but then it drops down a bit after that raised portion above his eyes. I don't have another kid that age to compare him to. His eyes are weird. He is newborn but when I move my hand close past his eyes he doesn't flinch or blink. My 2 week old kids all blink when I pass my hand near their eyes.

I posted about the buckling in the birthing section.

Does she need to be milked more than twice a day assuming that kid isn't taking any milk?

I will give selenium/ vit E and hope it helps. He has a strong voice. Strong legs. Seems fully formed in all other ways.

Last edited:

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Maybe milking will make it easier to nurse. The plugged one was likely hard for any baby. She was much softer when I took her back.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I had the little guy put down at 2 days old.

I milk her 2 times a day. She had her kid a week ago today.

I just went to do the evening milking and she is empty. No milk. I've noticed last year's doeling checking out the teats, running to the doe and bumping the udder. They call to each other again, too. Her emptiness must mean she really is letting her old baby nurse again at 10 months old. I am sure she was weaned before. This is so weird.

Last edited: