Milking questions

Bedste

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
should i dip each teat in iodine before and after milking? Is this teat dip on this awesome goat link good enough? http://fiascofarm.com/goats/teatdip-udderwash.html

we are expecting our doe to kid in March and I want to milk her right away and bottle feed the kids. What is the best teat wash or dip? Do you wash the udder each time and dry her off every milking? Does she have to have iodine?

I want to do this right this year. Last year was my first time and I am just learning. Help...

Bedste

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So ....... any advice?

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
When I milk I wash her udder with a wet warm rag or wipe. Then I milk. That's how I do it.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We were using the fiasco udder wash/teat dip on our goats. 1 goat kept getting a mild case of staph on her udder, so we switched to a chlorhexidine solution for wash/dip. We don't use iodine.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I've also got a chlorhex based dip. I wash before milking, and dip afterwards.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Plain old soap and water is good for washing before. The key is to get her udder nice and clean. And squirt a bit of milk out of her teat before you milk into your clean pail. When you are done clean her udder again.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We use the fiasco farm teat dip recipe also. I've never had any problems. We wash before with a clean baby wipe dipped in the solution, and then dip the teat after milking.

DonnaBelle