Milking

Dolorosa

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I do not know about concerns regarding the medications she was given and drinking milk afterwards. Also has she been tested for CAE and other goat diseases? Without getting into the raw/pasteurized debate... @Southern by choice knows a LOT about milk safety (but I am not sure my phone will let me tag people ugh)

As far as the medications she had go, the penicillen says on the bottle Not to drink milk from the treated animal for 48 hours, since it's been weeks I think she's fine as far as that goes. The Nutrigents I guess is just extra nutrients for goats and sheep. The bottle says to give it to newborns. Our Friend who raises goats says it helps her "stay alive" after the stressful process of having babies for the first time, and having to have one of the babies pulled out. She didn't hav it for very long. It dosen't say anything on the package about not drinking milk. No she has not been tested for anything.

Dolorosa

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So what does/does she have to be, tested for so we can drink the milk and why?

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You should do a blood test for CL, CAE and Johnes disease at a minimum. Some also test for Brucelosis and TB. The test is to make sure you have a "clean" herd as some diseases can be passed to humans. Unpasteurized milk is/can be more dangerous to very young kids than to adults if it's carrying any infections. Having said all of that I buy unpasteurized cows milk from a local dairy and have had zero issues.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Latestarter of those 5 diseases you listed only TB and Brucellosis are required tests for raw milk dairies in CA. The other three are not considered zoonotic and/or not passed in raw milk.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I was just telling her what tests are most common... I'm not sure what testing is mandated for dairies here or anywhere really...

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree that those first three tests should be done but I didn't want her thinking that those three diseases were transmitted to humans through raw milk. Johne's... some say 'yes it is' others say 'no'. Some say that it is even transferred through pasteurized milk.

Dolorosa

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well I have a friend who raises, breeds, and shows, somewhere around 40 goats. I asked her which ones she does, and she always does the Brucelosis test on does she milks. She said that you should do CAE and Johnes just to make sure you have a clean herd. I think she said that The CL test is not completely accurate, so you should feel them (especially their neck) for lumps, and if you suspect have the test done. I think We'll do the TB to. I guess will bring them to a vet soon! How often do these tests need done? Thanks for your help. I think I am going to put my ducks in their breeding pen today! They will be in their for about 5 weeks, then I'll the eggs, incubate them, and then...:weee

Dolorosa

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a question. We haven't had her tested yet. But if I strain and pasteurized the milk can we drink it, before she's tested? Hate to waste.