Minature Horses

juliebee

Just born
Reaction score
Hello ! I am interested in learning about minature horses.
Hopefully there is someone on here that would like to share some
information. We are currently building a small barn. Planning for the big day. :D

juliebee

Just born
Reaction score
Good Question. I am the girl who blew out birthday candles and wished for a horse. Sadly after 40 years I am still doing this. Do you think owning a minature would be a good place to start? I would like one that pulled a cart.

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong w/ starting w/ mini. They are cheaper in that they are smaller, but everything else is the same. Hoof care is importants, seems like their feet grow faster then full sized horses, and farriers that work on minis can be harder to find.

It's important to train them, and not let them get away w/ things just because they are little! It can be like nasty little dogs, people think training and manners aren't important because they are little and can't do as much damage, they are wrong!

You also have to be alittle more careful w/ what they eat, minis are like ponies and can get fat on air.

I have 3, one is a trained cart horse, and another will be started training this year! (let me know if you want to see pics, I love to show them off)

They are alot of fun! And kind of addictive!

juliebee

Just born
Reaction score
Heck yes I wanna see pictures!! We were wondering about the feed. Where the barn will be built is just bare dirt right now. So no grazing for the little fellas. I guess that will be okay since they will get fat on air :)
The barn raising is this week end. My husband is a farm boy so he has it planned out. In his head. Any suggestions on the barn? The outside will be like a lean to only he is going to enclose it. I am not certain what the inside will be like. :hu I think it would be cute to have little doors for them like the big horses get.

Misty

Just born
Reaction score
Here is my 32" mini Romeo with my 2 year old granddaughter. He rides, drives and is a sweetie with children. Gotta watch his weight though :rolleyes: .

DSCF5183.jpg

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok, this one is Money, she'll be starting cart training soon, I need some better pics, but I just got her over the Winter and I'm still waiting for her to shed out,
IMG_2450.jpg

And Crystal,
Crystal2untitled.jpg

And my current driving mini Skip,
IMG_1722.jpg

As for feed I give free choice hay to Chyrstal and Money, Skip gets a pot belly so he gets a flake twice a day. They don't generally need much feed, it kind of varies depending on what kind of work they are doing.

My barn is really more of a run in shelter, I'm hoping some day to have individual stalls, but right now we have what we have! Really they don't need anything extra special, but if you have more then one w/ different feeding needs, separate stalls can be handy.