Mineral Block ??

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can sheep & goats have the Redmond mineral? My cows CRAVE whatever is in there. I keep plain salt & redmond out loose. They will sometimes go weeks and barely touch it, then tear through pounds in just a couple of days.
I'm lucky to have found a distributer nearby that places weekly orders and carries 40lb bags.

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I used to offer sheep lyx tubes but man is that expensive! And they go through it so quickly. Now with larger herd I use Purina wind and.rain mineral and very cheap. I also screwed some bowls to side of barn and keep it filled. I mostly see younger lambs eating some. I've never used salt or mixed it. I believe the purina mineral itself is sufficient

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to offer sheep lyx tubes but man is that expensive! And they go through it so quickly. Now with larger herd I use Purina wind and.rain mineral and very cheap. I also screwed some bowls to side of barn and keep it filled. I mostly see younger lambs eating some. I've never used salt or mixed it. I believe the purina mineral itself is sufficient
Looks like the Purina Wind and Rain is for cattle, not sheep. >Correction - I just found the sheep version< Though they do have Purina Sheep Mineral - I can't find the guaranteed analysis for the Wind and Rain, but I can find it for the sheep mineral.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
I read the opposite advice (I forget where) that mineral and salt shouldn’t be used simultaneously. I wonder if a problem was just solved.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just bought 150 lbs (3 bags) of Purina Sheep Mineral. I thought our Imperil Valley lflfa h lenty of seenium in it but DH (who is good on alfalfa content) told me that the Imperial Valley hay we are getting is low in selenium. The alflfa we always got before in Antelope Valley was high in selenium. We used to buy Antelope Valley hay direct from the grower but there is not so much being raised there with the water shortage, and housing developments going in everywhere. No water for crops or orchards, but apparently when a developer wants to put in 500 homes there is enough water for that. :somad

Anyway, once I found out that our alfalfa is selenium low, I bought loose mineral. I am also gig to see if I can order injectable Bo-Se for the sheep as well from the vet. I will put the mineral out in the hanging buckets I have and ip tie them to the corral bars to avoid the sheep knocking them to the ground.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee and RFD tv this morning. I’ve noticed numerous reports on the winter wheat crop being poor to non existent. Combined with various issues with beef, poultry and dairy it looks like food isn’t going to be cheaper anytime soon.
Sorry I thought I was in the other thread
:hide We probably should buy more mineral and salt…

Last edited: