Mineral question

srawl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello,

I believe I’m all set for my 8 week old Nigerian dwarf does (2) that I will be picking up in a few days and have picked up some mana pro loose minerals from tractor supply for the mean time since that seems to be the best available locally but after hours of research I am still not certain what the best loose minerals are.

I’ve read I need to to copper Bolus and provide a selenium block but also not to use a block. But to do xyz to make sure they get enough...

Is there a better loose mineral out there that provides enough copper and selenium? I’m told my area (Central Texas, East of Austin) is deficient in just about everything...

I’m curious about the “Sweetlix dairy” that I’ve read about but the closest thing to that I’ve seen online is the “magnum milk mineral,” is that the same? It says for lactating does, it is still ok for non lactating young does?

I’ve also read the Sweetlix meat maker is also good (better than mana pro) for Nigerian dwarfs even though they are dairy.

I’m really just trying to provide the best for these two but there is a lot of conflicting info out there.

Thanks

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have used the molases mineral block for my nigerians, they love it and think its candy....so it goes fast. Have been adding the loose minerals and top dress directly to their feed, i like the results i am now seeing much better, hope this helps a little.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I were you I'd just get a really high quality mineral and order some kid sized boluses and a nice bolus gun (goat pill popper) to use when they hit about 6 months or start having symptoms. I like my Sweetlix Meatmaker for my nigerians-bucks, does, and kids as far as minerals go. If you're still worried, and it might be wise to anyway, I'd also get some replamin for goats or something that has lots of selenium et c. and give it to them as the label or as another experienced goat guru says. Then I'd eventually call a vet and ask what other area goat owners are doing and what they suggest.
It's up to you though. That's expensive. You could just give them the loose mineral you've got and see what your goat vet says, maybe avoid some costlier steps.

You'll be okay. I really would avoid blocks though. Loose minerals in a container screwed into the wall away from butt level and therefore pee and poo just works better and aren't as fun to stand on.