minerals (copper)

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't understand though why you would need to give them a copper bolus. :idunno

If your vet said you don't need to give them extra copper.... and you live in an area that is naturally high in copper......

do any show signs of copper deficiency?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't understand though why you would need to give them a copper bolus. :idunno

If your vet said you don't need to give them extra copper.... and you live in an area that is naturally high in copper......

I agree. I said we give OUR wether copper, because the herd needed it so we did him too. I wouldn’t be giving the bolus unless it’s really needed.

To the OP- I’d ask your vet if there was a reason why you shouldn’t feed the Manna pro. I don’t see the harm in doing so- the goats will eat it if needed.

junkman

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was kinda freaked out about trying to bolus as well before I actually did it. I bought coppasure gelcaps with 4 grams of copper "rods" in each. I tried to give them hidden inside banana chunks (open the capsule and dump the rods in then replace the banana chunk), inside peanut butter sandwich quarters (again, open the capsul and spread the rods around in the peanut butter), and when neither (supposedly foolproof) method worked, broke down and did the bolus with a bolus gun
909.475x475.jpg

A little dab of peanut butter on the end of the inner shaft of the bolus gun, stick the bolus to it. Hold the goats mouth by grabbing the top jaw and slide your fingers into the mouth to open it, slide the gun to the back of the tongue an push the rod out. Be careful to not put your fingers too far back though as those rear teeth are very sharp and jaws clamping down will do a number on those fingers. You want them on the gumline between the front teeth and back teeth.

There are you tube videos showing the process as well.

Also, make sure you get the gun far enough back they can't spit it out or chew on the bolus - whole point is like stuffing a pill to the back of a dogs throat so they can't spit it out, just this gets it all the way back there without your fingers getting crunched.

Thank you for the help

junkman

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score

the vet did not say not to give them manna pro, the vet suggested using the shepherds choice minerals, that's what she gives her herd of meat goats.when I questioned about no copper in the shepherds choice, she told me since my herd was not a breeding herd and they were all weathers that they did not need that copper, but she also told me if I'm more comfortable giving them the manna pro to go ahead and give it to them that it was my choice. I started them back on the manna pro.
I have not noticed any issues with the goats, I just don't want them to not get what they need. If I was going to keep them on the shepherds choice minerals, then I was considering trying the bolus

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
the nice thing about copper deficiency is that it shows up in the hair... patchy hair...off color... etc........ it isn't a sneaky thing.

Melisa Hubbs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
the nice thing about copper deficiency is that it shows up in the hair... patchy hair...off color... etc........ it isn't a sneaky thing.

I have a nanny that was deficient in copper, she is doing great now, on her way to looking better too. I just wonder how long until her coat looks better?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a nanny that was deficient in copper, she is doing great now, on her way to looking better too. I just wonder how long until her coat looks better?
unfortunately I never properly record these things....

I remember the improvement being "surprisingly rapid" But what would that have been?

At a guess 2 weeks to a month. 6 weeks max.