Minerals

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Why are minerals so confusing. Maybe it's just me..by reading the instructions on the bag says to give 1/4 to 1/2 an ounce per goat... i don't even know how to measure that out. That is such a small amount. Do you put it with pellets or by itself and hope they eat it? Some of this goat stuff is so confusing. Probably because I am a new 🐐 owner but I am determined to end the confusion.
Thanks for your help.. again!

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I leave the loose minerals out all the time. The goats wander by and eat it as they want. Just keep some out all the time. If you can place the minerals somewhere out of the weather it would be nice, but my goats have never turned up their noses if the minerals got wet. They slurp up the water and minerals.

You want to have a lot of copper in your mineral. What brand are you using?

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's Manna Pro Goat Mineral. It was all I found at Tractor Supply. I got a salt block before you mentioned loose minerals so I went back. I was afraid I would give them too much but if I can just leave some in a bowl I will do that.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Manna Pro is good.

Here is the mineral I use:

It comes in a 50lb bag and even with the high shipping cost it comes out economical per pound. (Manna Pro at TSC 13.99 for 8lbs = 1.74/lb vs 36.00 + 20 shipping = 56.00/50 = 1.12/lb). They ship UPS so it comes to your home. Just a thought. Plus it has kelp and DE. 50 lbs would last you a long long time.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like this one.
It's for goats not solely on alfalfa (hence "meat maker").
Purina is also nice enough to pass for me lately, but the above one is my favorite.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Manna Pro is good.

Here is the mineral I use:

It comes in a 50lb bag and even with the high shipping cost it comes out economical per pound. (Manna Pro at TSC 13.99 for 8lbs = 1.74/lb vs 36.00 + 20 shipping = 56.00/50 = 1.12/lb). They ship UPS so it comes to your home. Just a thought. Plus it has kelp and DE. 50 lbs would last you a long long time.
Awesome! Thank you. The bag I have is itty bitty but that is all that I saw when I was there.