Mini cheviots

ShariN

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Way back when I used to raise Brecknock Hill cheviots... now called mini or toy cheviots. They were my favorite breed. Easy to tame down, halter trained everyone for easy handling.
Normally ran 10 ewes, plus the rams and of course each years lambs.
They were easy going and no problem to fence and hardy.

Fleece was more of a medium wool, not next to the skin soft. Showed the fleece at local fairs and had more buyers for my fleece, than I had fleece for sale.

Think you will like them. ;)

Laurel

Just born
Reaction score
My first ram arrives this next week - he is just a tiny lamby and I am hoping for a ewe lamb a few weeks after that. Any difference between toy and mini?

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So are these mini and toy Cheviots just bred down from small sheep? Or are they a breed unto themselves?

ShariN

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They are original sized Cheviots... Hudson Bay co in the NW brought them in the USA, in the late 1800's. What is now called Mini or Toy Cheviots, are the original sized Southern/Border Cheviots.

Just like the Babydoll Southdowns... are the original southdown size. There were a few isulated flocks in the NW, that were not Upsized.

khellenbrand

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I am soooo glad you stuck with your mini cheviot!!! we adopted a little ewe this spring and she is literally the sweetest thing on the planet. friendly, sweet, attached to us in the same way our dogs are. comes when i call her, wants to be a lap sheep.
any updates??

Latest posts