1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Mini donkey pregnant or overweight?

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Horses, Mules, and Donkeys' started by daisy, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Oct 27, 2015
    daisy

daisy Exploring the pasture

We have a mini donkey that was with a jack before we got her and the previous owner thought she might be bred. If so she would now be at 13 months pregnant so im beginning to think that she is just overweight. We checked and she doesnt have a full bag but she does have clear milk. Is there any reason she would have milk and not be pregnant? Or is she just taking her time to have a baby?

Attached Files:

BlessedWithGoats likes this.
  2. Oct 27, 2015
    norseofcourse

norseofcourse Herd Master

If you're sure it's been 13 months since she was with the jack, she's not pregnant. Has your vet checked her? He/she could tell for sure.

One of my ponies sometimes has a clear/slightly milky liquid, though she's never been bred. The vet said it has something to do with her hormones causing some milk or milk-like substance. She seems to be more likely to have it happen when she's in heat.

Oh, and :welcome from Ohio!

daisy likes this.
  3. Oct 27, 2015
    Bunnylady

Bunnylady True BYH Addict

Welcome to BYH!:frow

The average gestation period for donkeys is 12 months, though there apparently have been donkey pregnancies that have gone as long as 14 months and still resulted in the birth of a normal, live foal - so you aren't completely out of the woods yet.:idunno

But I have to say, I have a mini mule that is almost that wide, and I know she isn't preggers.;)

daisy likes this.
  4. Oct 27, 2015
    daisy

daisy Exploring the pasture

Thank you for the replies! We havent had the vet check her yet but we are taking her in this week to find out for sure whats going on.

And..sorry for the sideways picture, I couldnt figure out how to turn it the right way. o_O

BlessedWithGoats likes this.
  5. Oct 28, 2015
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

To check for overweight, look at the crest of her neck. It should be lean, not puffy with fat. If too fat, the crest of their neck can actually fall over and even if the donkey loses weight, the crest will not stand back up. The crest is the top of their neck. Donkeys also get fat pones on top of their hindquarters and on their back, next to their spine. Being desert animals, they don't put on a layer of fat evenly all over their bodies like other animals do. In a desert setting, a layer of fat would probably cook them! :lol:

daisy and promiseacres like this.
  6. Oct 29, 2015
    HomesteaderWife

HomesteaderWife True BYH Addict

Man...if she isn't pregnant, then she definitely if overweight. I am following this thread because I am curious to see the outcome.

daisy likes this.