Mini donkey pregnant or overweight?

daisy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have a mini donkey that was with a jack before we got her and the previous owner thought she might be bred. If so she would now be at 13 months pregnant so im beginning to think that she is just overweight. We checked and she doesnt have a full bag but she does have clear milk. Is there any reason she would have milk and not be pregnant? Or is she just taking her time to have a baby?

Attachments

• CAM01783.jpg
    CAM01783.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,203

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you're sure it's been 13 months since she was with the jack, she's not pregnant. Has your vet checked her? He/she could tell for sure.

One of my ponies sometimes has a clear/slightly milky liquid, though she's never been bred. The vet said it has something to do with her hormones causing some milk or milk-like substance. She seems to be more likely to have it happen when she's in heat.

Oh, and :welcome from Ohio!

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!:frow

The average gestation period for donkeys is 12 months, though there apparently have been donkey pregnancies that have gone as long as 14 months and still resulted in the birth of a normal, live foal - so you aren't completely out of the woods yet.:idunno

But I have to say, I have a mini mule that is almost that wide, and I know she isn't preggers.;)

daisy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies! We havent had the vet check her yet but we are taking her in this week to find out for sure whats going on.

And..sorry for the sideways picture, I couldnt figure out how to turn it the right way. o_O

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
To check for overweight, look at the crest of her neck. It should be lean, not puffy with fat. If too fat, the crest of their neck can actually fall over and even if the donkey loses weight, the crest will not stand back up. The crest is the top of their neck. Donkeys also get fat pones on top of their hindquarters and on their back, next to their spine. Being desert animals, they don't put on a layer of fat evenly all over their bodies like other animals do. In a desert setting, a layer of fat would probably cook them! :lol:

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Man...if she isn't pregnant, then she definitely if overweight. I am following this thread because I am curious to see the outcome.

KayL

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Definitely not a donkey expert. That said, I have trimmed a fair many long-ears who are similarly... “muscular” (is what we call the chonky donks). Is she lumpy?

Please keep us posted!

Latest posts