Mini Donkey

KarliJo

Herd lurker
Reaction score
We started our herd a few weeks ago with a jack. Very sweet and gentle, pretty much my baby. He will follow anywhere I go. We decided we needed a friend and ended up getting a deal on two jennies.
He is 7 years old, the jennies are 5 & 2, mother & daughter.

They dislike each other. The girls kick & keep him cornered and he will bite them if he gets a chance. This has gone on for one day. We were told they would get use to each other but I really hate seeing them fight. Will they ever get use to each other or get along? I

HELP!!!!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
There's always going to be a transition period and a pecking order established. In hindsight, maybe introducing them from opposite sides of a safe fence (not barbed wire!) would have eased them into it, but that's not always possible. However, if you can separate them (but still in sight of each other) it might help - if not - they'll work it out eventually. Your fella might get a few bumps and bruises though...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
They have to establish pecking order. Even the lowest horse or donkey in the herd would rather be picked on and beat up than be alone. Are you wanting to breed more donkeys? If so, you will soon have quite a herd. You do need to establish a separate pasture or pen for the jack. There will be times you want to separate them.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have your donkeys settled in now?