Mini Donks and Goats

Bumpa

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, the danger has passed. We did not take in a friends goat after all. It has a good home , kids just dont want to care for it anymore. We will stick with our three mini donkeys for now!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like all animals, donkeys have their own personality. This is within the generalization and within individuals. I have raised both mini donkeys and goats.

Some donkeys are good herd protectors, some don't even care, others are in between. I did have some goats & donkeys run together very well. Others, not so. ALWAYS intro the donkey into the goats, not other way around. The "tendancy" is for the donkey to protect. They associate dogs & cats as if fox & bobcat, most often. So, attack is on.

Had one jennet who ran with HER goats and when one baby from another field crept in, she killed it! Was perfectly fine with those born in the field to HER goats. Get the picture? Others would tolerate any goat, cow, horse, duck, etc. But no fox EVER made it out of her field if she saw it. Also, rabbits. LOL

Goat people who use donkeys that are protective generally will NOT put the buck into a field of does with the donkey. Can be instant death --by donkey or a bullet to put it out of misery.

They sure are great animals though. Loved mine. They brayed as I came out each morning -- "hello!" My jack used to pick up his feed tub and toss it over the fence to me at feed time. :D

You know, way back before all the digital stuff - race tracks always kept a donkey in the barns of horses to alert them to intruders -- human or otherwise.