Mini homestead hopeful

GraceOnly

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey all! I’m Caitlin, a former Californian now enjoying the semi-rural life in peaceful Tennessee. Yay!

I’m looking into raising ducks for eggs and rabbits for meat. (Ducks are tasty too...) I’ve got a garden started and have dreams of turning my little one acre into a miniature homestead to supplement my family of four’s consumption of healthy and well raised food. As I research and plan this just feels more and more natural albeit overwhelming and a little scary.
When I can, I make money hosting paint and sip parties, but spend most of my time raising my kids, cooking and making/building/creating lots of stuff. My husband is a web developer / musician / indoor cat. We are (as of 2020) parents to two wonderful sons and have a fluffy dog named after an obscure Star Trek character. In 2019 we bought a house with a music studio (my husband’s dream!) and are slowly working toward renovating it and renting it out as a practice space for a little side business.

We love Jesus and will talk your ear off about Him if you let us. He has been so good to us!

That’s ‘bout it.

PS: If you know of (or have) a reputable meat rabbitry in Middle Tennessee, please let me know. I want to learn about and get started purchasing rabbits to raise sometime in 2020.

170EB2A9-676F-44B5-BF47-7B7EEEEBB6A6.jpeg

Last edited:

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey all! I’m Caitlin, a former Californian now enjoying the semi-rural life in peaceful Tennessee. Yay!

I’m looking into raising ducks for eggs and rabbits for meat. (Ducks are tasty too...) I’ve got a garden started and have dreams of turning my little one acre into a miniature homestead to supplement my family of four’s consumption of healthy and well raised food. As I research and plan this just feels more and more natural albeit overwhelming and a little scary.
When I can, I make money hosting paint and sip parties, but spend most of my time raising my kids, cooking and making/building/creating lots of stuff. My husband is a web developer / musician / indoor cat. We are (as of 2020) parents to two wonderful sons and have a fluffy dog named after an obscure Star Trek character. In 2019 we bought a house with a music studio (my husband’s dream!) and are slowly working toward renovating it and renting it out as a practice space for a little side business.

We love Jesus and will talk your ear off about Him if you let us. He has been so good to us!

That’s ‘bout it.

PS: If you know of (or have) a reputable meat rabbitry in Middle Tennessee, please let me know. I want to learn about and get started purchasing rabbits to raise sometime in 2020.

View attachment 70829
Hello and welcome to the forums. you guys look awesome. please enjoy staying here in our forums. and hope to hear from you more.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on the move. Tennessee has a great and varied music scene, I Think you will like it. There are several meat rabbit breeders in Tn. I did a quick google search “rabbit Tennessee” and came up with several. Enjoy the adventure.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas, glad to have you here. I’ve gardened practically all my life. Feel free to pick my brain for help. I also can, dehydrate and freeze the garden produce.

GraceOnly

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks! I did a search as well but can’t tell if any nearby me actually sell meat rabbits. Seems like the ones closest are selling pets with no mention of meat. I supposed I can always call them up. 🤷‍♀️

GraceOnly

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks! Hi! Do you use a pressure canner? I’m looking forward to purchasing an inexpensive but large one and am open to suggetions from veteran food preservers! :)

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forums. you guys look awesome. please enjoy staying here in our forums. and hope to hear from you more.
You guys said that you prepare rabbit meat. can you teach me a good dish for rabbits? I'll appreciate that very much.

Latest posts