Mini-Nubians...no airplane ears please...

Cooperkeeper

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have two registered nubians that I plan to breed next year for milk for our small family. I am considering breeding for registerable mini nubians, but don't want to lose those beautiful ears. If I were to breed my girls to a 3rd or 4th generation mininub buck that already has those nubian type traits I love, what are the chances of those goofy ears showing up in my kids? (Honestly, I would love them regardless!:love!)

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Its basically 50/50 on the ears. I bred a full aLa Mancha to a Nubian doe and got 1 baby with ears and 1 with out...Just a chance.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I would think a 3rd or 4th gen. mini Nub would be much less likely to throw airplane ears than a 1st generation. :)

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I did find that if the ears are short enough, and you give a selenium injection, most times they will stand right up and stay up after a week or two.
iansears.jpg

Then they look oddly long, but they don't look so flippy floppy.

Iansearslater.jpg

I did it with one of my bucks and he has grown into his big ears.

Iannow.jpg

He just doesn't have as much capacity to move them back and forth as his twin does who has shorter ears.

Browniesears.jpg

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
that is cool how selenium can do that I think the flip flop looks adorable like the goat is in constant contemplation
:D