birdfreaks

Just born
Reaction score
First off, my main question is...any guesses on mini, false mini or standard? How do ya tell? is there a way? my 2nd q is more on any breed or breeds she could possibly be mixed with.They said she's about 7-9 weeks of age. she weighs about 1 lb & 8 oz, here's some pictures.

-please excuse the pink dot on her ear; they sexed her as female & they do a dot of this non-toxic paint so that they only have to sex them once. i suppose this way is alot Less stress for the rabbit, but it's the first time i've seen this & i'm guessing it's a common thing at rabbitrys /pet stores, or any place that sexes & sells rabbits? i've seen them color-code baby chickens like this too. just wondering.... i got her yesterday so hadn't gotten a chance to clean the pink spot off of her ear before i took these pictures.
DSC_1478.JPG
DSC_1481.JPG
DSC_1483.JPG

Last edited:

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It is a bit hard to tell at that age, because rabbits, regardless of breed, gain weight very quickly in the first few months of life. Size at that age has more to do with nutrition and feeding than breed. I know a breeder who raises standard rex and had a litter with kits smaller than the kits in my Dutch litter(keep in mind that rex weigh around 12 lbs at maturity, and Dutch around 6 lbs). It was because her doe didn't feed the kits properly. In a couple months, you should be better able to tell if your rex mix is standard or mini.

Latest posts