Mini Rex + Cal = Himalayan Rex?

TaylorBug

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Curious, and I doubt I will go anywhere with this BUT...

I have 5 self/self broken mini rexes(2 bucks, 3 does) and 4 Cals (1 buck and 3 does) and I was wondering if I could experimentally breed a Cal to a Mini Rex to gradually work toward Himalayan colored standard Rexes? Does anyone think that is possible (over several generations of course)? Just curious!
And if so, would you recommend a Mini daddy and a standard mommy, or vice versa? I've heard that does may cut colostrum if they know the daddy is smaller, but I don't want to overload a mini with a whole litter of standard sized babies.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
It'll take several generations to get the rex fur back. I would use the mini rex buck on the cali doe, I would avoid using a broken buck. I do know that the himi gene is in mini rex already, you might look at looking for the variety in rex and just purchase one. As it would save you a lot of time.

TaylorBug

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It'll take several generations to get the rex fur back. I would use the mini rex buck on the cali doe, I would avoid using a broken buck. I do know that the himi gene is in mini rex already, you might look at looking for the variety in rex and just purchase one. As it would save you a lot of time.
I know that Rex can display Himi but I have all my cages somewhat full of my self Rexes which I'm focusing on and Cals which I have a regular buyer for. I'm just curious as to whether I *could* experimentally breed the himi back into Rex/Rex into a standard bred himi.

TaylorBug

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For anyone also curious- I've done some research that I would like to document here--

Rex gene is "r"
Satin gene is "s"
Angora/wool gene is "l"

Standard genotype is RRSSLL (or RrSsLl)
Any special type will have BOTH recessive (Rex=rr, for example)

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could, but I'm pretty sure that color already exists in standard Rex. Are you just doing this to experiment with colors and genes? If so, there's probably nothing we can say to stop you. Please have a plan for all the bunnies you will create during your color experiments.

Mini Rex and standard Rex have different conformation, so if your goal is showable standard Rex with himi color then you will have a very long road ahead of you. The mini Rex also have a dwarfing gene, so you will be fighting that as well. It is very dangerous to breed a small doe with a larger buck, so you would need to use your mini Rex buck on the Cali does.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yup, it's already a recognized color.
Screenshot_20210310-094708.png

TaylorBug

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You could, but I'm pretty sure that color already exists in standard Rex. Are you just doing this to experiment with colors and genes? If so, there's probably nothing we can say to stop you. Please have a plan for all the bunnies you will create during your color experiments.

Mini Rex and standard Rex have different conformation, so if your goal is showable standard Rex with himi color then you will have a very long road ahead of you. The mini Rex also have a dwarfing gene, so you will be fighting that as well. It is very dangerous to breed a small doe with a larger buck, so you would need to use your mini Rex buck on the Cali does.
I know Rex/mini Rex has a himi variety. I just would like to experimentally breed Cals and Rexes. Just curious honestly... I only have 1.5 more years of high school before I go off to college so it's not like it will go anywhere if I try it now.

TaylorBug

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Another question @Larsen Poultry Ranch do you think then you could create a mini Californian with Cal type but smaller? Out of another dwarf breed possibly since rexes have a particular type/fur type and are quite different?

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know Rex/mini Rex has a himi variety. I just would like to experimentally breed Cals and Rexes. Just curious honestly... I only have 1.5 more years of high school before I go off to college so it's not like it will go anywhere if I try it now.
The first generation of Rex x Cali (lets call the Gen A) will all have normal fur, but carry the gene for Rex fur: Rr. If you breed Gen A with a Rex, the result (Gen B) should be half Rex rr and half normal fur carrying Rex Rr. If you breed Gen A Rr to the Cali instead, you would get normal fur rabbits which may or may not carry Rex fur: RR or Rr.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another question @Larsen Poultry Ranch do you think then you could create a mini Californian with Cal type but smaller? Out of another dwarf breed possibly since rexes have a particular type/fur type and are quite different?
If you are just trying to introduce the dwarfing gene, I think you could use any dwarf breed, I'm not familiar with the differences though as I have only had standard Rex and meat mutts. You would want to clearly define your goal for the rabbits and come up with criteria, and then be prepared to cull heavily to reach your goal.

Would this just be a new pet breed? Californians are supposed to be a meat breed, making them into a dwarf breed would defeat the purpose of the meat breed. As a pet, most people like the colorful rabbits instead of REWs or Californians, as the red eyes are unsettling to many.