Mini Scott. Highland x Mini Zebu as first cow?

needmorechickens!

Just born
Reaction score
I have goats and pyrenees dogs on 5 acres. I am wanting to get a mini cow and add to the same pasture with my goats. I have located a 3 month old heifer that is a mini Scottish Highland x mini Zebu. Is this a good cross? I am mainly interested in this cow as the beginning of my mini herd (or fold). In the future, I was thinking of getting a mini Sc. Highland bull to breed to her and sell the offspring. I have no experience with cows. What do you think? I am open to any advice or opinion.
Thanks,
~Rebecca

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I have never heard of a mini Highland. They are not a real big breed to begin with. Also, you may want to rethink the whole "mini" breed thing as the only market for most of the calves is the pet/homesteader market and unless you are in an area where you are going to direct market the beef, it is hard to sell the off spring. Plus there are a host of other difficulties with the mini breeds that are being promoted. Many have breeding/calving issues and if you are not an experienced cattle person, it could be a difficult time for you. Are you looking for beef or milk? There are a few breeds that will give you both reasonably. Maybe you need to spend some time as an "intern" on this farm that has the heifer you are looking at and learn some more about the animals before taking on raising one.
One other thing, the "mini breed" market is much higher priced than the normal cattle market. Especially now since we hit the slump a year or so ago. Don't get caught up like the big "emu craze" that had people thinking they would make a fortune and then go broke. Get some cattle experience before jumping in.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My thought is..... 5 acres isn't enough for goats and cattle...unless you want the entire place to be dirt.

Not sure how you would keep it green with that many animals....

Other thought.... if you want the cow as a pet... I didn't think Highland or Zebu cattle were all that friendly.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Zebu/bos indicus are quite docile actually, especially steered or female.
Any breed (and species) can have it's outliers and it is those that get all the media and social attention.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Atleast what we have seen here in our area of Cal.,. you buy the mini cattle at a high price, sell the offspring by finding another succer if you are lucky. If not, you can take it to a local auction and you would be lucky to sell it at a great discount or even get a bid. Weekend family bbq .

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have Highlands. They are not large. They are not hard on pasture. I recommend buying registered animals as opposed to mutts. Like farmerjan said, if you plan on breeding these cattle, there is a better market for purebred registered animals as opposed to what you might get.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
One mini cow ain't going to make much difference on 5 acres.
It's barely Spring here and I winter pastured 2 full sized Beefmaster mommas and their 2 nursing calves PLUS a horse on 5 acres..maybe a little less acres than 5. Fed a few round bales, and some grain (mostly to the horse) but only because the frost kills almost all the grass in my part of the world. I can assure you, even in winter, it wasn't eat down to dirt.
Rule of thumb most places is 2.5 acres with any kind of decent grass at all, for 1 pair (1 momma cow with calf at side).
In Tenn, you should have some cool weather grasses like fescue to help out.
Get your heifer, sell all her offspring as soon as they reach weaning age/weight and you'll be fine.

Latest posts